Charge at 3kW rate with 6kW charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littldave

I have a '15 Leaf SV with a Level 2 6kW charger. I want to charge the car from my home's off-grid PV system which will support a 3kW charge rate but not the 6kW charge rate. (I can charge using the 6kW charger but only with my on-grid electrical system. If I an charge at 3kW I can charge for free.) Can I adjust the vehicle to charge at 3kW even though it has an on board 6kW charger?

The trickle charger works swell, but... since much of our driving is done while the sun shines, the car isn't available,while the sun shines, for the long charge times needed with the trickle charger.

I know, most folks want to know how to charge faster, I'd like to slow it down without going to the trickle charger.

It is my understanding that no matter what size EVSE you use the vehicle will only use up to 6.6kw.

From the other direction, even though the Leaf can use up to 6.6kw, it will only use up to the amount of supplied electricity.

Now your issue is using an EVSE that is rated for higher power than what is available. In this case I believe that that using an EVSE and the onboard charger that has a higher limit than the electricity supplied will be okay, as it will only use up to the limit of what is being supplied.

If I am incorrect will someone please correct my understanding.

Thanks graffi!

You're probably right (I don't know this for a fact, will have to wait and see if others weigh in on the subject)

You just need a EVSE that will allow you to lower the charge rate. Many will, some won't. Since you can't go over 3kw that eliminates the cheap fixed 16a L2 EVSEs, they charge at 3.6kw @ 240v. Probably your best option is to have your factory EVSE upgraded by EVSEupgrade.com to 16a, note 16a is the max, you can lower your charging down to as low as 6a if wanted and your upgraded charger will work on both 120v and 240v(12a max on 120v without spending $25 extra for a special 16a adapter cable). The upgrade cost itself is ~$300 depending on shipping.
Charge rate is the lowest of either your cars built in charger(and what it's requesting) or the max output of your EVSE is (or what it's set to for adjustable EVSEs).

evseupgrade will get you there but an openEVSE will give you a better user interface/more control/more future proofing should you need higher amps later.

Be sure to check eBay for old evseupgrades that someone might be selling. Even the 2011 and 2012 ones are valid for your low amp situation no matter what car you have (EVSEs are universal for the most part, don't let model years weed out a cheaper option).

You can DIY the upgrade and turn your Nissan EVSE into a 2.8kw EVSE for about $25.
http://www.instructables.com/id/313CONVERTING-A-2013-LEAF-LEVEL-1-12AMP-CHARGER-TO/

littldave said:
I have a '15 Leaf SV with a Level 2 6kW charger. I want to charge the car from my home's off-grid PV system which will support a 3kW charge rate but not the 6kW charge rate. (I can charge using the 6kW charger but only with my on-grid electrical system. If I an charge at 3kW I can charge for free.)
Running a two-circuit system? One on-grid, and the other off-grid? Do you have a blog post or other place where you've detailed your system? That's what I intend on doing with my recently acquired panels, so I was looking for others who have done something similar already. Thanks in advance.

@littldave, what plug type do you have on your L2 240V EVSE?

I don't know if it would be safe to do so (I can sense an onslaught of ridicule coming), but perhaps you could makeup an "adapter" cable with only (2) wires in use - a single hot and a ground.

Again, only if it's safe to do that, you would have 120V charging, but at the full amperage of your EVSE. Basically, that would cut your charging rate in half...

That way, you could still charge at full rate from the utility power, but use your adapter plug to charge at half rate when using your solar grid.

You can get the plugs on Amazon pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-Female-Replacement-Receptacle/dp/B00192QB9M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491355006&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=camco+14-50r

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55255-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGVZ30/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491354962&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=camco+14-50p

Then you would just need some heavy gauge wire.

I feel the flames starting to roast me :oops:

Back