Nissan Leaf 2015 S not charging to 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosh

I bought a used Nissan Leaf 2015 S, still under basic warranty.
I have the climate control on to 6:00 AM and the charge timer set to 10:30 PM.
I plugged in the car on trickle charge for 10 hours and the battery level went up from 40% to 68% . The car was plugged in for at least 12 hours.
I am never able to charge to 100%, even if the car is plugged in for 24 hours.
The battery has 12 bars. The max it has charged to is 88%.

The 3 blue lights on the dashboard are turned-off at the end, indicating that charge is complete. The Nissan charger that came with the leaf also indicates the charge is complete as it does not glow when I go to unplug it in the morning. It glows when I start the charging.

What is going on , why is the Leaf not charging to 100% ?

First step is to remove all charging timers. Then remove all preheating timers.

And then explain how do you plug in the trickle charger?
Do you use extension cords? How far from the main fuse box is that socket.
You are trying to charge on 110V?

rosh said:
I I have the climate control on to 6:00 AM and the charge timer set to 10:30 PM.
I plugged in the car on trickle charge for 10 hours and the battery level went up from 40% to 68% . The car was plugged in for at least 12 hours

Rosh: On the S model, the charge timer should be set to the time you want charging to STOP (not the start time). Based on the stop time you set, the vehicles current state of charge, and the output of the charging station you are using (120v 12A, 240v 16A, or 240V 28A) the LEAF calculates an estimated amount of time it ill take to charge and will start whenever it needs to to be done by the end time you set.

But for now go with arnis's recommendation and set all timers to off and see if you can get it to charge to 100%

OP, how are you determining this %? It's possible the OP is looking at the guess-o-meter instead of the actual % SoC display.

See http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/ under SOC% display on dashboard, which shows 25% remaining and 22 miles on the GOM. One needs to press the upper left button in the cluster of 4 on the left side of the dash to cycle thru the displays.

Someone (not very knowledgable) in a Facebook group who bought a used ’12 kept complaining about not being able to charge to 100% or whatever. After lots of replies, it turns out they were misinterpreting the GOM as % SoC. ’12 has no % SoC display.

And yes, do turn off all the timers to troubleshoot.

Thank you'll.
I disabled all the timers and the leaf charged to 100% and is now showing 92 miles, which is a bummer since I thought it will go to above 100 for 100%.

Wohoo.
Now set preheating timer for departure time. Not the time when you want it to start. I know, weird.

If that works you can fiddle with charging timer according to jpadc notes.

Our 2015 has started suffering the same problem in that we set the timer to get a 90% charge overnight (based on the guess o meter) and return the following morning to find the car has stopped charging and consistently only has less than 77 miles range even though the battery indicator tells us it is at 87% charge. When we bought the car a year ago, we got a range of 107 on a fast charge. Currently, on a full charge (120v) we’re only getting 77 miles range. Why has our range on a full charge dropped so precipitously? Does cold weather have anything to do with it?

Currently, on a full charge (120v) we’re only getting 77 miles range. Why has our range on a full charge dropped so precipitously? Does cold weather have anything to do with it?

Most certainly. If you have an S then any heater use consumes a lot of power. If an SV or SL with heat pump then heater use below freezing, and especially below roughly 26F, also consumes a lot of power. Under worst cases conditions (frigid temps, wind, lots of heat) Winter range is about 1/2 that of Summer.

MPetty said:
Our 2015 has started suffering the same problem in that we set the timer to get a 90% charge overnight (based on the guess o meter) and return the following morning to find the car has stopped charging and consistently only has less than 77 miles on the GOM even though the battery indicator tells us it is at 87% charge. When we bought the car a year ago, we got a GOM value of 107 on a fast charge. Currently, on a full charge (120v) we’re only getting 77 miles on the GOM. Why has our GOM on a full charge dropped so precipitously? Does cold weather have anything to do with it?
Edited your post slightly.

The guess-o-meter is crap. Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853.

The GOM value is only your "range" if ALL your future driving is exactly like (in terms of efficiency) whatever recent driving history the GOM uses to come up w/that not very helpful value. Your recent driving may have nothing to do w/your future driving.

Efficiency is worse in colder weather. Rain and snow on the road further cuts efficiency. Running the heater consumes more energy than not running it as there's little "free" waste heat on an EV and Leaf doesn't scavenge that.

If you want the GOM to be higher, go down a hill, turn off the heater and AC and charge at the bottom of the hill. I guarantee you it will be high. Want it to be low? Drive very fast up steep hills and charge at the top of it.

Back