Help me to understand this 80 percent thing with DCFC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

So from what I understand with fast charge (CHademo station) the first 80 percent goes fast and then it slows down. Does this mean that I should disconnect at 80 because it will damage the battery if I continue or is it just because it is just not worth to hang around after that. I understand the courtesy aspect and leaving the station open for the next user.

Thank you.

John and Angela

The charging rate slows to avoid damaging the battery. If your battery is below 50% SOC when you start charging, the Quick Charger will stop at 80% SOC. If starting above 50%, it will go to 100%. The issue is heat.
If you don't need the extra 20%, don't bother.

At some point, the charging slows, even below 6 KW (which can be below the J1772 level 2 rate) so that it doesn't make sense to continue, especially if others are waiting for the DCQC. Move on or move over to the J1772 when the charging drops below a certain rate. If nobody is waiting, it's not a big deal. The station slows down on its own. Way back in 2012 when my Leaf was new and I did a road trip with DCQCs, there were so few others that I rarely saw another EV. I charged to 80% or 100% depending on my needs and didn't worry about it because there wasn't any one else. Now I would be more concerned (that is if I could go farther than 50 mi to the nearest DCQC station more than 120 mi away). Nope, I am done with road trips in this car since charging station additions have been slower than battery degradation.:)

91040 said:
If your battery is below 50% SOC when you start charging, the Quick Charger will stop at 80% SOC. If starting above 50%, it will go to 100%. The issue is heat.
I have never seen this behavior when using a CHAdeMO. It will just continue to charge all the way to 100% if I leave it connected. (What you say is might only true if a MY2013 or older and set the charge limit to 80%; it's otherwise not true in general).

It also doesn't get slower at 80%; the charging power continually reduces for the entire duration of the charging session. After about 80% the power level is no higher than level 2 charging. LeafSpyPro can record and display this for you. Here's the sample charge record:
knoZMds.png

jlv said:
91040 said:
If your battery is below 50% SOC when you start charging, the Quick Charger will stop at 80% SOC. If starting above 50%, it will go to 100%. The issue is heat.
I have never seen this behavior when using a CHAdeMO. It will just continue to charge all the way to 100% if I leave it connected. (What you say is probably only true if a MY2013 or older and set the charge limit to 80%; it's otherwise not true in general.
+1
I've only used my QC port twice and both times it was at the dealer and no one else needed it. Both times it started below 50% SOC and both times I was there long enough for it to almost get to 100%, IOW I didn't have to do anything different to get it to charge above 80%.
Now I'm not sure if I had my 80% option enabled(I do use it but not all the time) so not sure if that might have made a difference but I'm thinking it might just be for the L1/L2 port.....but again not positive.

If Leaf has timer activated that charges up to 80% at home (or battery save mode 80% is activated)
Leaf will stop charging at DC station like it stops at EVSE.

Some DC stations stop on their own depending on settings. Some stop due to time (maximum is 60 minutes usually)
some stop due to very slow charge current.

The basic behavior, if I understand correctly, is that the DCQC stations will charge rapidly to 80% state of charge, and then charge at more or less L-2 rates up to 100% after that. You don't have to do anything special to get to 100% if an 80% limit hasn't been set, it just takes longer.

As per normal folks, thank you from a bunch of newbies. Angela and I bought the car long distance and since we are out of the country for a while we actually don't get to play with our new toy. Learning lots though thanks to this board. We wanted one this spring but are glad we waited for a left over 2016 SV deal that we were looking for.

Thanks again all.

Back