99 days to a new warranty battery...hopefully

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futureleaf

I am on a concentrated quest to "condition" my battery to the point it is replaced under Nissan's warranty. This post will serve as blog for my activities and progress. Maybe this info will help the next person on their path to success.

Here are the beginning stats:

2012 Nissan Leaf SL bought used in March 2016
In-service date: 2/25/2012
Projected out-service date: 2/25/2017
Beginning mileage: 29,412
AHr: 51.64
SOH: 78%
V: 336
Hx: 60.54%
QCs: 60
L1/L2: 1754
Current maximum range of normal driving: 54 miles

My daily activities include running the running battery pack down to 0% at least once per day, at least two QCs per day so I can drive 100 miles rt to work, and as one other forum member put it so eloquently, "rinse and repeat". Wish me luck...at least for the next 99 days!

:lol:

It is more reasonable to QC not twice per day but the whole day. Once per week should be enough.
I know it is almost like "work" but imagine 7000$ paycheck.
If you get it up to 11-12 bars you will manage to beat the clock with few of those days.
Definitely harder to do in winter rather than in autumn.
Also at least 70mph discharge rate. Add some sandbags and do full-throttle/regen cycles indefinitely.

You can also speed up this way.
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22726

arnis said:
:lol:

It is more reasonable to QC not twice per day but the whole day. Once per week should be enough.
I know it is almost like "work" but imagine 7000$ paycheck.
If you get it up to 11-12 bars you will manage to beat the clock with few of those days.
Definitely harder to do in winter rather than in autumn.
Also at least 70mph discharge rate. Add some sandbags and do full-throttle/regen cycles indefinitely.

You can also speed up this way.
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22726

Arnis, thank you for your advice. I am QC twice a day, not by choice, but by necessity, so that I can effectively commute with my Leaf. My one way trip is over 50 miles so I QC around 45 miles going. Then I QC around 45 miles coming back the other way.

Could elaborate on your statement "If you get it up to 11-12 bars you will manage to beat the clock with few of those days"? Are you talking about the battery capacity gauge that I am at 10 right now or something else?

Thanks!

futureleaf said:
I am on a concentrated quest to "condition" my battery to the point it is replaced under Nissan's warranty. This post will serve as blog for my activities and progress...!
Sounds like a lot of work, with very little chance of success, just to get a replacement battery that will raise the value if your LEAF about a thousand dollars.

If you really need more battery capacity, and want someone else to pay for it, buy a few gallons of gas, torch your LEAF, and claim a total loss with your insurance company.

They should pay you off at full retail value, and you should be able to buy a replacement BEV with higher kWh capacity from a private seller for ~ the same price.

Much easier, and ethically ~equivalent...

I meant that you take a day off and drive the Leaf like you stole it. QC not by necessity but for heat generation.
You will get your temperature bars into red zone. Search for forum. There is a guy who managed 12 temperature bars.
And he also noticed degradation right after that.

futureleaf said:
I am on a concentrated quest to "condition" my battery to the point it is replaced under Nissan's warranty. This post will serve as blog for my activities and progress. Maybe this info will help the next person on their path to success.

Here are the beginning stats:

2012 Nissan Leaf SL bought used in March 2016
In-service date: 2/25/2012
Projected out-service date: 2/25/2017
Beginning mileage: 29,412
AHr: 51.64
SOH: 78%
Hx: 60.54%
QCs: 60
L1/L2: 1754
Current maximum range of normal driving: 54 miles

My daily activities include running the running battery pack down to 0% at least once per day, at least two QCs per day so I can drive 100 miles rt to work, and as one other forum member put it so eloquently, "rinse and repeat". Wish me luck...at least for the next 99 days!

Day 6

Current mileage: 29,900 (+488)
AHr: 51.48 (-0.16)
SOH: 78% (no change)
Hx: 60.09% (-0.45%)
QCs: 71 (+11)
L1/L2: 1763 (+9)

I also starting monitoring my Gids and SOC% with Leafspy Pro. Even at VLBW with no miles left on the GOM, my Gids and SOC% were 16 and 9.1%. I am still looking for the bottom of the proverbial tank.

Reality check: you just don't have enough time (before Feb 2017) to drop ~10 AHrs...especially in the winter. The fact is you just haven't driven enough miles (unless they were all in Phoenix).

Stanton said:
Reality check: you just don't have enough time (before Feb 2017) to drop ~10 AHrs...especially in the winter. The fact is you just haven't driven enough miles (unless they were all in Phoenix).

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Thanks for the reality check!

Stanton said:

I'd have to agree as well. I'm at 73% SOH, and I'm not sure if I'll be good enough 1 year from now (Warranty expires Nov 1st 2017) with my 2012. Losing 11-12% SOH in a year isn't too far of a stretch, but losing 17-18% SOH in 90 days would require tremendous amounts of extreme abuse.

Back