2013 recently dropped to 8 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electromotive

I encountered a fellow today that is now at 8 bars on his 2013 Cayenne Red "S".
He was not aware of the replacement program.
He recently dropped to 8 bars. I believe that he has 41K miles.
Claims to have never QC'd. Commute is/was from the foothills east of Sacramento to Sacramento/Folsom area.
I saw the dash capacity bars.
His build and In Service dates are March 2013.
Of interest, at least to me, is that I met another LEAF owner 2 weeks ago with a Cayenne Red 2011 that had his battery replaced at approximately 47K miles.
All 3 of the LEAFs (my LEAF is also Cayenne Red) were sold from the same dealership.
I am at 9 bars and out of the warranty period. That does not trouble me.
I've encouraged the 2013 gentleman to come on to MNL and officially report his situation.
I suggested that he start the process but wait until early 2018 for the replacement battery.
Please advise me of what forum would be appropriate for this message.
Thank you.

I suggested that he start the process but wait until early 2018 for the replacement battery.

I don't know what you mean by "start the process". You could either "start the process" and get a new battery or you could wait until a later date to "start the process." Me personally, I take the battery replacement as soon as available.

rosier9 said:

I don't know what you mean by "start the process". You could either "start the process" and get a new battery or you could wait until a later date to "start the process." Me personally, I take the battery replacement as soon as available.
I would personally wait closer to the end of the 5 year/60K mile capacity warranty (whichever comes first) to have the dealer verify the 4+ bars down unless the car's becoming unsuitable for its current/anticipated use cases. That way, you put all the degradation on a pack you no longer will have and have less time spent on the new one. Degradation begins the day the pack was manufactured.

However, do NOT wait too long and be sloppy. Set calendar reminder something and give yourself PLENTY of buffer time like a few weeks, just in case something comes up. You do NOT want be past either 5 years or 60K miles. It could turn out to be a multi-kilobuck mistake.

Sacramento area is hot, so the 4 BL isn't surprising, esp. given the build month of 3/2013. This is more evidence to suggest those batteries are no better than the ones on the '11 and '12 Leafs.

Mods: Please merge this into one of the capacity loss threads. I recall one for 2013.

vwDavid said:
The longer he waits the higher the (small) likelihood that just maybe future replacements will be 30 kwh.
I understand your reasoning but I'm 99.9% sure that Nissan would never replace a 24kwh pack with a 30kwh pack, big companies just don't do that. Besides if word got out that they were doing such a thing I could see quite a few people purposly trying to destroy their 24kwh packs just so they could get the larger 30kwh pack, trust me it would happen. Although if it were me I'd wait until a month or so before the warranty expires(if the OP could get by with it's limited range until then) and then get it replaced. That way they'd their replacement 24kwh pack would last that much longer.
Never underestimate what people will do to get something for free, I've seen several posts right here on MNL of people purposely trying to destroy(if the word fits) their battery just so they'll get in on the free replacement battery warranty. Not that in that case(especially if they are very close to the warranty expiring) I'd blame them but it's probably not something I'd personally do :)

Just maybe, we can dream, they would give us a choice. You add $1500 and can get a 30 kwh pack. Well, maybe not all that likely but gotta keep the dream alive...

jjeff said:
vwDavid said:
The longer he waits the higher the (small) likelihood that just maybe future replacements will be 30 kwh.
I understand your reasoning but I'm 99.9% sure that Nissan would never replace a 24kwh pack with a 30kwh pack, big companies just don't do that.

I wouldn't be so sure. It costs money to keep inventory of these things laying around, and from a manufacturing perspective it's cheaper to switch an entire line over to one standard (vs maintaining a sep entire line just to build smaller packs at the random times one is needed).

Back