Short DC charge session

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregn

The question, "Is DC charging bad for your battery?".
I've read the opinions and gathered that the heat generated is the issue more than the type of charging.
I'm curious about DC charging for a short session, 8-10 min instead of a hours on L2 or L1. Obviously the slows charging creates less heat but if the DC charge was done in the mornings when the ambient is cooler and the battery temp bars remain under 7 segments or below 90°F would the fast charge rate alone be likely to cause significantly more damage than slower charging for more time. I'm talking about charging to 80%. I've noticed when monitoring the session with LeafSpy as soon and the input starts dropping ( usually around 80%) the battery temp rise rate increases. If you keep charging then you end up with a hot battery. If you stop when the input drop starts the rise is no greater than the same charge at an L2. This is with ambient temps above 75°F.
Some background. I have L1 at home, public L2 very near my apartment. L3 on the way to work. 80% gets me to work and back with 20-30% remaining depending on how fast I drive. Sometimes I leave my car at the L2 for several hours then pick it up later. If the next day is a day off I could leave it on L1 the whole time at home. Or I could just use the L3 on the way to work the next day. The L3 stop seems most convenient and charging happens at a cool time of day. The L2 is in the very hot afternoon sun so I should wait till evening before charging there. Not that convenient. We all know how long L1 takes. I can do a combination of the L1 and L2 but again not that convenient for every day.
So, am I harming my battery by using the L3 for the short session it takes to get enough charge for my commute?
Thanks for your time.

Probably not, especially if you only charge to 80%.
The only time I charged @7TB was when I was going for my battery pack replacement (and I don't even have/use L3).

gregn said:
The question, "Is DC charging bad for your battery?".
I've read the opinions and gathered that the heat generated is the issue more than the type of charging.
I'm curious about DC charging for a short session, 8-10 min instead of a hours on L2 or L1. Obviously the slows charging creates less heat but if the DC charge was done in the mornings when the ambient is cooler and the battery temp bars remain under 7 segments or below 90°F would the fast charge rate alone be likely to cause significantly more damage than slower charging for more time. I'm talking about charging to 80%. I've noticed when monitoring the session with LeafSpy as soon and the input starts dropping ( usually around 80%) the battery temp rise rate increases. If you keep charging then you end up with a hot battery. If you stop when the input drop starts the rise is no greater than the same charge at an L2. This is with ambient temps above 75°F.
Some background. I have L1 at home, public L2 very near my apartment. L3 on the way to work. 80% gets me to work and back with 20-30% remaining depending on how fast I drive. Sometimes I leave my car at the L2 for several hours then pick it up later. If the next day is a day off I could leave it on L1 the whole time at home. Or I could just use the L3 on the way to work the next day. The L3 stop seems most convenient and charging happens at a cool time of day. The L2 is in the very hot afternoon sun so I should wait till evening before charging there. Not that convenient. We all know how long L1 takes. I can do a combination of the L1 and L2 but again not that convenient for every day.
So, am I harming my battery by using the L3 for the short session it takes to get enough charge for my commute?
Thanks for your time.
Hello gregn,
It would be interesting to see your log file. Can you get that file (something like "Log_DC404384_160718_84b0d") to a place where you could Email it to me?

thanks,
Dan

Is the log file part of LeafSpy? The one if logging is enabled in settings? If so I hadn't enabled it. It's on now so I'll give it some time and see what I get.

gregn said:
Is the log file part of LeafSpy? The one if logging is enabled in settings? If so I hadn't enabled it. It's on now so I'll give it some time and see what I get.
Yes, what you have done will put the file into memory on your phone Then you would need to find a way to get that into excel or other program that can chart it. If you would like you could email the file to me and I could chart it as I did mine.

The way I did this is setting up drop box on both LeafSpy and on my laptop.

Thanks,
Dan

DNAinaGoodWay said:
What you describe should be OK. Are alternative QCs available if the one you're using breaks down?

Yes, Lots of options actually. My trip is short enough I could use an L2 for an hour and get to work. There is another QC on the way to work a few miles from my home. That one is a different network too in case there is an outage that effects a whole system. Once at work I can plug in with L1 if I need to or there are a couple other QC and L2 units pretty close.
I really haven't changed anything about the way I drive since switching to an EV. I don't do many long trips anyway. I have taken the Leaf to Boston from vermont. 180 miles one way. That was fine. Had two QC stops and one L2 on both legs. The trip down had a time frame so i only did 20 stop at the L2. Speed was 55 mph on an interstate the whole trip. Climate control was on the whole time as well. I hit low battery warning on the way down but that was wishing a couple of miles of the QC charger so wasn't an issue. Pretty stress free trip actually.

Thanks,
I was hopping that was the case. It has been warmer here than in past years but never like the southern parts of the US.
The DC charge session isn't really required for me just a convenience really. I did a test yesterday and ran my trip in to work (32 miles) from 100% charge from my home L1 on the interstate at 65 mph then home on the secondary road with the climate control on. Plugged in to L1 when I got home at 1pm and had 100% by 3am. That is fine with me. In winter I can charge at work so the QC won't be needed. If I run errands while at work I can just QC around there to make it up.
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Back