2016 Leaf SV - Does it charge faster?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnlocke

Question for 2016 Leaf owners. How fast does your Leaf charge? I'm charging significantly faster than the manual suggests. I'm using a Juice Box charger and seem to be able to charge at 7.2 KWH/hr. I've checked numerous times with Leaf Spy with similar results. The GIDs value is rising by 89-90 units per hour which equates to 7.2 KWH/hr. The manual says 6.6 less overhead or about 6.3 KWH/hr. Also the fast charge rate seems to hold until I reach 90% after which it tapers off until the battery is full. 30% to full is about 3.5 hours, 30% to 90% is about 2,5 hours. From 10% to 100% is just over 4 hours. 29 KWH available. Anybody else have a similar experience?

My 2016 SV pulls exactly the expected current through my OpenEVSE, 27.5A. Maybe your voltage is on the higher end of 240V AC spec, resulting in higher wattage?

johnlocke said:
Question for 2016 Leaf owners. How fast does your Leaf charge? I'm charging significantly faster than the manual suggests. I'm using a Juice Box charger and seem to be able to charge at 7.2 KWH/hr. I've checked numerous times with Leaf Spy with similar results. The GIDs value is rising by 89-90 units per hour which equates to 7.2 KWH/hr. The manual says 6.6 less overhead or about 6.3 KWH/hr. Also the fast charge rate seems to hold until I reach 90% after which it tapers off until the battery is full. 30% to full is about 3.5 hours, 30% to 90% is about 2,5 hours. From 10% to 100% is just over 4 hours. 29 KWH available. Anybody else have a similar experience?

any additional facts to report? for one thing, you would be charging no better than around 90% efficient so if you are seeing 7.2 into that battery that equates to almost 8 which I have to say... you need to recheck your numbers

If you want accuracy in your analysis, you will need an ammeter and a voltmeter - that will tell you the Volt-amps at your point of measurement. A unity power factor would give you the watts at the measurement point, but I do not believe the Leafs charger has a unity PF - although it is "corrected". As Dave pointed out, the entire charging system is not so efficient with the controller, wiring, PFC unit, boost converter (and the battery) all having it's own inefficiencies. It would be a very interesting analysis - to determine the actual limit of watts that is set by the Leaf's charging logic and even better, what is that logic (maybe someone actually knows?). I do know that my OpenESVE actually limits the Level II charge amperes to 16 (seems to settle out at 15.9 - I have a 2012 model), but the "wattage" calculation is based on an assumed 240 volts (if I remember correctly) by the firmware of the OE. In actuality I think it is likely VA calculation!

Caveat - not being an electrical/electronic engineer, any corrections to the above is appreciated - and I am interested in the level II charging systems overall efficiency as my initial solar charging system will be through the level II system.

Back