Weak Cell and Collapsing Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Just in the last week or so, I realized the SOC on my '13 Leaf was going down rather abruptly.

So, I used the Leaf apps to track what was happening. The surprise was, the Leaf apps would show higher SOC than what Leaf showed.

So, I manually noted SOC and the miles driven. As you can see below, the behavior is as expects between 100% and about 70%. Then again down below 20%. But between 70% and 20% I got just 10 miles !

socvsmiles.png

Looking at Leaf Spy the reason seems clear. There is a weak cell #2 - though not sure why Leaf would behave this was only between 70% and 20%.

Screenshot_2015-12-21-14-19-24 [235633].png

I took the Leaf to the dealer - the they ran their usual checks and said everything is fine. Is there a specific test they can run so that this problem shows up ? Has anyone got their dealer to replace the battery with such a problem ... ?

Question for Turbo and others is - why do you think Leaf spy etc are showing much higher SOC than Leaf was (for eg. at the end of this run Leaf spy still showed 24.6% SOC as you can see).

I think the test you want is here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19076&start=10#p411119

Also, at low SOC, my LeafSpy reports higher than the dash too. Just noticed that the other day.

Thanks for the link. I asked the dealer to do a CVLI test. They are talking to Nissan to figure out what to do.

You either have a bad pack or the BMS has been reset from a seriously low capacity reading (2 bars? one??) and is not yet back to an accurate reading. IMO it's likelier that you have a bad pack, which would actually be great news, believe it or not, as the manufacturing defect warranty is still in effect.

Back