Charging Time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molleyk

:evil:
Hi all! I'm hoping someone can provide some insight where the vehicle manual has not helped:
I try to use my level 2 charger only after 8pm when I get charged for off peak electricity. I set my vehicle's timer for 21:10pm but it seems to make no difference! Last night it appears to have worked according to plan but other times, it charges as soon as I plug it in. I'm so annoyed because it makes no sense the way it works sometimes but not others!
It's the S model, so I programmed that and the climate control from the controls behind the steering wheel.

I would also be interested because my car failed to charge twice with the timer. I'm manually plugging in when I want to charge. I can't be stranded again. I have a Schneider 30A EVSE which has worked for me for the past three years prior to getting my LEAF.

Robert,
I was poking around in the newbie section and learned that the timer is the END time, not start time. :/
There seems to be no way to set the start time.

molleyk said:
Robert,
I was poking around in the newbie section and learned that the timer is the END time, not start time. :/
There seems to be no way to set the start time.
What model year? What trim?

On the SV and SL trims of all models years, you CAN specify a start and end time, via the nav system.

The S trim (new starting w/model year 2013) has no nav system and you have to do it via the buttons and small b & w display. I believe on the S, you can only set an end time. (Can someone w/an S chime in?)

EVforRobert has an SV and thus has timers for start and end.

I wouldn't be surprised if their failed to charge incidents were due to failure to understand the charging timer's quirks. I don't use the timer that much, and when I do, it's usually set to midnight to midnight, 80% setting.

If memory serves, an example of such a quirk is if you set the start time to be say 2 pm Monday, and you plug in at 2:15 pm on Monday, it won't start. It needs to be plugged in before 2 pm, or you need to turn off the timer or press the timer override button.

cwerdna said:
EVforRobert has an SV and thus has timers for start and end.

If memory serves, an example of such a quirk is if you set the start time to be say 2 pm Monday, and you plug in at 2:15 pm on Monday, it won't start. It needs to be plugged in before 2 pm, or you need to turn off the timer or press the timer override button.

This is not true. If you plug in before the start time, the car will wait until the start time and then charge (L1 or L2). If you plug in between the start time and end time, the car will start charging immediately. If you plug in after the end time, the car will wait for the next start time and then charge. Also, DCQC (quick charge) is not affected by the timer setting--car will start charging immediately after all of the handshaking with the CHADeMO unit is completed regardless of timer settings.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
If you plug in between the start time and end time, the car will start charging immediately.
I will need to double check on that. I seem to recall that wasn't the case.
GerryAZ said:
Also, DCQC (quick charge) is not affected by the timer setting--car will start charging immediately after all of the handshaking with the CHADeMO unit is completed regardless of timer settings.
Yep.

molleyk said:
:evil:
Hi all! I'm hoping someone can provide some insight where the vehicle manual has not helped:
I try to use my level 2 charger only after 8pm when I get charged for off peak electricity. I set my vehicle's timer for 21:10pm but it seems to make no difference! Last night it appears to have worked according to plan but other times, it charges as soon as I plug it in. I'm so annoyed because it makes no sense the way it works sometimes but not others!
It's the S model, so I programmed that and the climate control from the controls behind the steering wheel.
Could you have pushed the button which overrides the timer?

smkettner said:
Yes set the time for when off-peak pricing ends. Charging will still start a bit early but you should easily fit in the window.

+1

Depending on your SOC when you plug in, it could start charging as early as 5 hours before your set end time.

Back