NOT A 30KWh in a 2011.... . VIN 5821

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemrough

Take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-SL-Quick-Charge-116-Mile-Range-Warranty-No-Reserve-/252110686189?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab2f7c7ed&item=252110686189

Either the dealer that is selling this doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or the 30kw pack will work in a 2011....

It's late; and I'm tired; and I may not be looking hard enough, but I don't see where it says that it has a 30kWh pack. I see 24kWh mentioned a couple of times, and that many miles from a new 24kWh pack is conceivable in ECO.

Edit: I see 30kWh now...posted under "power options". Probably just copied and pasted from the 2016 sales materials.

I also see a 4 bars missing picture, which leads me to think it had a standard warranty replacement. BTW, am I wrong to think 4 bars missing in only 26,000+ miles is excessive, even for FL?

it is listed as 30kwh... New Latest Generation Battery Extended Range.... if it is not a 30kwh battery (which I doubt it is) they could be liable for false advertising. I could see how this could turn into a lawsuit when the buyer gets 80 miles and not 116 and figures out the dealer lied.

One thing that is interesting is the pic of 8 bars capacity has 12 bars of charge and shows 55miles range. The one with the new battery shows 116 miles but only has 11 bars of charge.

Looks to me like an uneducated dealer is making some rash statements based on bad assumptions. He reports the range based on the GOM reading? Yeah, sure. Maybe he then assumed it has a 30kWH battery because it has a new battery? The ad is full of bad assumptions and misinformation.

I messaged the seller:

Your previous message

Can you confirm this is in fact a 30KWH battery (as in the 2016 SV/SL) and not the 24KWH "lizard" battery introduced in the 2015 model.

New message from: patfischernissan (0)
Yes. It is a replacement battery. The range has shown any where from 106 and 122 miles...so there is absolutely no doubt.

GetOffYourGas said:
Looks to me like an uneducated dealer is making some rash statements based on bad assumptions. He reports the range based on the GOM reading? Yeah, sure. Maybe he then assumed it has a 30kWH battery because it has a new battery? The ad is full of bad assumptions and misinformation.

I think you are exactly right. I asked him to confirm with the service department and let me know the part # used for this replacement.

gemrough said:
... New message from: patfischernissan (0)
Yes. It is a replacement battery. The range has shown any where from 106 and 122 miles...so there is absolutely no doubt.
Message them back and explain to them they are incorrect.
Depending on how it has been driven it is easy to get such Distance To Empty readings from a brand new 24 kWh heat resistant pack.

A sales person jumping to rash inaccurate conclusions.

The first photo shows all 12 capacity bars with only 11 bars charged, yet 115 mile range. Later photos show only 55 miles range with all 12 bars showing 100% charge and reduced capacity. I beleive the later photos were taken with the original battery and the top photo is with the new 30kw battery installed. Too bad they did not charge it to 100% so we could see the GOM range then.

Graffi said:
The first photo shows all 12 capacity bars with only 11 bars charged, yet 115 mile range. Later photos show only 55 miles range with all 12 bars showing 100% charge and reduced capacity. I beleive the later photos were taken with the original battery and the top photo is with the new 30kw battery installed. Too bad they did not charge it to 100% so we could see the GOM range then.

I'm not convinced. A brand new 24kWh battery pack, if all they've done is drive it around the lot at under 15mph, could conceivably show 118 miles f range in ECO, even when not fully charged.

On the other hand - if it does turn out that the new 30kWh pack IS compatible with the 2011 LEAF, then that is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME news.

I guess we need more concrete answers to the concerns already raised.

Nissan has already confirmed that the 30 kWh pack is not compatible with the older model Leafs (and I've heard as much from my dealer). All kidding aside, why would you put more stock in a used car dealer's claims than a statement from Nissan?

My first question would be how did they get a 30kwh pack. If Nissan was providing new packs for warranty replacements we would know by now. Considering this is a listing from a seller with no previous feedback I think we can safely close this discussion.

Stanton said:
Nissan has already confirmed that the 30 kWh pack is not compatible with the older model Leafs...
I simply don't buy that. Once they stop manufacturing batteries with the old chemistry, they will need to be able to provide SOMETHING to owners of the old LEAFs who need to replace the battery (until 2025, at least, since the 2015s all include that technology). It seems clear that this 30-kWh NMC battery is what will be available at that point.

That said, I don't think anyone will be able to get a 30-kWh battery for an older LEAF before that time, as Nissan has made clear.

first bid is $10,000, I'm betting they'll find out it has a 24 kWh pack.

2011 Nissan LEAF SL
26,282 miles
VIN: JN1AZ0CP9BT005821 isn't in the bar loss wiki

It's almost enough information to put it in by

edit:

http://www.patfischernissan.com/used/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-f7008da20a0e0a6b3006e5fb7c35b7b0.htm
apparently entered their system at 25,239 miles

06/17/2011 FL Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
05/18/2012 FL 979 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0108943074) (Lien Reported)
05/18/2012 WEST PALM BEACH, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
06/08/2013 WEST PALM BEACH, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/06/2015 FL 25,239 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
08/10/2015 FL 25,239 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE

Hmm, might as well add it I guess.

RegGuheert said:
Stanton said:
Nissan has already confirmed that the 30 kWh pack is not compatible with the older model Leafs...
I simply don't buy that. Once they stop manufacturing batteries with the old chemistry, they will need to be able to provide SOMETHING to owners of the old LEAFs who need to replace the battery (until 2025, at least, since the 2015s all include that technology). It seems clear that this 30-kWh NMC battery is what will be available at that point.

That said, I don't think anyone will be able to get a 30-kWh battery for an older LEAF before that time, as Nissan has made clear.

I thought about that same thing back when they announced the 30 kWh pack, and my immediate reaction was "they have to be able to support the 24 kWh pack at least through the 2016 MY (for the "S" trim), and will undoubtedly stockpile some, so we're looking at a supply at least beyond the 5 year (capacity) warranty period for the 2011-12 Leafs.
But then, I can't reconcile this: once they decided to offer the 30 kWh pack, why continue to carry 2 versions of such an expensive part/system? It just doesn't seem very cost effective to me, and worst case it is a logistical nightmare! Guess that's a topic for another thread.

Stanton said:
But then, I can't reconcile this: once they decided to offer the 30 kWh pack, why continue to carry 2 versions of such an expensive part/system? It just doesn't seem very cost effective to me, and worst case it is a logistical nightmare! Guess that's a topic for another thread.
That was my question in another thread, but ydnas7 answered it to my satisfaction: Nissan had a contract for the old material equivalent to about 225,000 battery packs. They either take the material or pay an equivalent penalty.

In one place in the auction it says 30kWh; in another place it says 24kWh. Don't let them fool you -- in ECO, in city driving, I have seen 116 miles too.

The seller works for the Nissan dealership. Here is his reply:

Your previous message

Can you confirm this is in fact a 30KWH battery (as in the 2016 SV/SL) and not the 24KWH "lizard" battery introduced in the 2015 model.

New message from: patfischernissan (0)
Also, I forgot to mention that the technician who did the installation (about 10 days ago) told me that it was latest generation.

My reply :

latest generation does not mean it is 30KWH because as of right now the 2016's are not on the lots for sale. Right now the latest generation is 24KWH. You might want to verify if it is a 24KWH or 30KWH via the part # installed and not just assume that the tech said it was the latest generation so it must be 30KWH. Might save you a lawsuit when the buyer figures out it is not what was advertised (should it be a 24KWH and not a 30KWH).

Back