Ideal charge % to sit for the day ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o00scorpion00o

Work charge point installed and I don;t charge to 100% at night any more so 80% will do. Got up to work and have about 25% remaining and set the timer to charge at about 4pm I finish at 8Pm.

Not too high and not too low is the idea but what's too low for the day, from 8 am to charger kicks in ?

I believe that down around 30% SOC (not 30% Gids) is probably optimal, although I doubt there is much difference between 30%-50% SOC. See the Wiki for details.

o00scorpion00o said:
Not too high and not too low is the idea but what's too low for the day, from 8 am to charger kicks in ?
I would say 25% is not too low. Anything above 20% (up to about 50% as Stoaty says) should be fine to sit for the day unless it is EXTREMELY cold (like below -20C).

My 2013 spends most of its time near 80%, and has not yet lost a bar after 2 years and 4 months, and almost 13k miles. So while I agree with the 30-50% range, letting it sit at near 80% isn't a battery killer either. With the 2015+ packs it's probably even less of an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

I think that while it may not have a bad impact leaving at 80% + , it will probably help to maximise the battery's life. Every little bit helps. I don't intend keeping it beyond the 3 years but at the same time I want to do everything I can to ensure the next owner gets as long as possible out of it. I think the 2013 + battery is proving to be a lot better so they should make really good 2nd hand cheap as chips cars to run.

Back