"Charging stopped" except that it didn't

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Just received a "Charging stopped" email and text from my car, which of course made me run out to see what had happened. Except it didn't stop - my car is still charging (or at least looks like it's still charging). Weird, huh?

mwalsh said:
Just received a "Charging stopped" email and text from my car, which of course made me run out to see what had happened. Except it didn't stop - my car is still charging (or at least looks like it's still charging). Weird, huh?
I got one of those from Blink (so not the one from the car) the first time I used a Blink QC.
Hooked up, started charging, headed to the store.
In the store for 2 minutes, and get a Blink charging stopped email..
So I head out to the car, and it's still charging along fine...

Don't think that's happened with the car ones tho..

desiv

I was out of town for 12 days, just back on Sunday night. I left the Leaf plugged in, since at this point I don't care about degradation from keeping it at 100% all the time. I also connected a battery tender for the 12 volt battery. About half way through my trip I started receiving "Charge Completed" emails from the Leaf, EVERY HOUR on the hour! :eek: Needless to say, I received hundreds of emails before I returned home. After I disconnected everything the problem went away. Weird.

Car did actually quit charging, but with no notification so I don't know when. LOL! Good job I went back outside to see how it was doing or I wouldn't have gotten enough charge to get home.

Must be a fault of some kind in that GFI outlet when it gets damp/wet - it's not the first time it's caused problems. Though the first time I've tried to use it to charge in the rain being as I generally go with an indoor outlet just inside our loading dock when it rains (I can keep my EVSE more protected via the dock's canopy).

Edit: Looks like I got a notification once I'd unplugged the car. That's helpful...NOT!

Power light on the EVSE was flashing rapidly; Left hand of the three dash lights was flashing.

mwalsh said:
Car did actually quit charging, but with no notification so I don't know when. LOL! Good job I went back outside to see how it was doing or I wouldn't have gotten enough charge to get home.

Must be a fault of some kind in that GFI outlet when it gets damp/wet - it's not the first time it's caused problems. Though the first time I've tried to use it to charge in the rain being as I generally go with an indoor outlet just inside our loading dock when it rains (I can keep my EVSE more protected via the dock's canopy).

Edit: Looks like I got a notification once I'd unplugged the car. That's helpful...NOT!

Power light on the EVSE was flashing rapidly; Left hand of the three dash lights was flashing.

There is a real GFCI conflict. A GFCI is required in garages and damp locations. The normal GFCI trips at 5MA but a car EVSE GFCI trips at 20MA. This requires the car to be perfect and not have an unbalance greater than 5MA or the outlet GFCI will trip long before the car's spec.

Back