dual 14-2 for 30 amp circuit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockWI

This is an odd one. First let me say I am not a licensed electrician, but have done a LOT of electrical work. I was looking at an outlet at a friends garage. They have an outlet that is 240vac that runs to a 30 amp breaker, they said it used to have a large 240vac compressor plugged in to it. I thought since we might take the Leaf there I should look at the outlet, maybe replace it since it didn't look in the best shape. So I open it up to find two 14-2 wires coming in and connected with two blacks on the hot side and two whites on the other hot side and both grounds on the ground.

My first thought was, wow, they ran 14-2 to a 30 amp outlet and and breaker and then daisy chained off that to another 240vac outlet somewhere. So I asked if there was another 240vac outlet anywhere and they said no. Then I followed the wires the best I could and it sure looks like they are home runs to the breaker panel. So then I popped open the breaker panel to find the same thing on the breaker end, both black 14 wires on one side and both white 14 (with red tape on them) on the other side in the 240vac 30 a breaker. So basically they doubled up the 14-2's to make a 30 a circuit.

So my first thought was to replace the plug with a new one as it looks a bit worn, but now I am wondering if I shouldn't just use only one set and put a 15 a breaker and plug? Or maybe leave it doubled up but go down to a 20 amp breaker and plug?

Thoughts?

BrockWI said:
but now I am wondering if I shouldn't just use only one set and put a 15 a breaker and plug?
The NEC doesn't allow paralleling conductors smaller than 1/0, so that is the only code compliant solution.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
The NEC doesn't allow paralleling conductors smaller than 1/0, so that is the only code compliant solution.
And the reason is that if you have a connection problem with one conductor's connection on either end, all the current will flow through the other conductor. An obvious fire hazard. I certainly wouldn't try to charge a LEAF using such a circuit.

Agreed you should put a 15A breaker on the circuit to protect the wires. Do you have one of the new (2013 or later) EVSEupgrade units which would allow you to dial the current down to 12A?

Thanks, I will switch it to a single 15A 240vac circuit.

I am getting an Open EVSE from Brad that is adjustable from 6 to 30 amps L1 or L2, which is why I was looking in to the outlets at remote locations.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even 12 amps at 240vac is nice compared to a regular outlet :)

wwhitney said:
BrockWI said:
but now I am wondering if I shouldn't just use only one set and put a 15 a breaker and plug?

Cheers, Wayne
Canadian Electric Code same as above plus: Color identification must be permanent ( no phase tape when using the identified conductor ( neutral) as a ungrounded conductor) and no double lugging ( unless approved for the use). 14 awg is approved for 15 amp ckts... period. If you are going to charge using the stock evse , run #12's on a 20 amp gfci outlet protected by a single pole 20 amp breaker.

Back