Minimum charge needed after fully discharging battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakem

After 25k miles in a 2013 Leaf, I had my first experience completely exhausting the battery charge, sadly the car stopped on an freeway off ramp just 0.1 mile from the nearest charging station. Unfortunately, turtle came about 2 miles sooner than I had expected based on two past experiences. After 1.5 hours the highway patrol towed the car to a local mechanic shop where I plugged the car in. (Note that the tow company Nissan called didn't show up until nearly 3 hours after I called using the CARWINGS app, totally unacceptable in below freezing weather, but a story for another thread).

Anyway, at the shop I plugged into 110V plug, set it to 16 amps (thanks EVSE upgrade!), and started charging. Carwings said the car had 2 miles when I plugged it in. After 1 hours, Carwings still said it had 2 miles and no bars although the estimated time to complete charging had dropped from 28.5 to 20.5 hours. Finally after 2 hours, I had 1 one bar and 10 miles which was enough to get home. I'd normally have at least 15 miles and 2 bars after 2 hours of charging at 16A, 110V.

I couldn't help but noticing that even after charging for nearly an hour, the car wouldn't let me shift it back into drive. This got me wondering, after discharging the battery, how long do you need to charge before the car will let you shift it back into drive?

blakem said:
This got me wondering, after discharging the battery, how long do you need to charge before the car will let you shift it back into drive?
The value I have read on MNL is 7% Status of Charge.
Although I messed up and took it to total dead in my garage once and ran 12V all the way down to around 6V, after I took the time to get it jumped and charging I didn't have patience to sit around to prove the 7% value.

Would require unplugging and testing if it would shift periodically to prove the 7%.
Was just too much trouble.

Back