2015 Lizard batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidjess

I am delighted with my Leaf's 100% battery state of health (SOH) after 385 quick charges (QC) and 19,506 miles driven, and the car was sitting in the AZ heat thru the entire summer of 2014. Manufactured 2014 April, on the road 2015 Aug 10.

And my little Leaf's batteries are all balanced (even heights) and all online (blue). Unfortunately, I do not see any way to post the graphic, here :-(.

I may be the first 2015 Leaf owner to post these results with this kind of "abuse" of the car on the Nissan Leaf owner's page. The new heat-resistant batteries are working!

The engineer who took these measurements and had not seen this in the real world seemed delighted, too :).

That is good news! However Nissan still offers only the same lame capacity warranty that doesn't guarantee anything like what their marketing claimed for battery longevity, and no pro rata provision, which indicates that Nissan itself does not have confidence in the new batteries. So even though finally offering replacement battery sales was a huge step forward, I'm still leery of buying another Nissan battery - or even more so another Nissan car.

Once we see either lots of real world data showing resilience of the new batteries, or a true warranty showing Nissan's firm belief in resilience of the new batteries, then I'd be comfortable buying another battery or another car. Until then I'm looking more at the Chevy Volt which has demonstrated excellent real world battery performance, and which gives just about as many EV miles per charge as I feel comfortable driving on my battery.

David: can you update your profile with your location? can you also post the GIDs on a full charge ?

Manufactured 2014 April, on the road 2015 Aug 10.

I guess you meant to say, on the road, 2014 Aug 10.

walterbays said:
...So even though finally offering replacement battery sales was a huge step forward, I'm still leery of buying another Nissan battery - or even more so another Nissan car.

Once we see either lots of real world data showing resilience of the new batteries, or a true warranty showing Nissan's firm belief in resilience of the new batteries, then I'd be comfortable buying another battery or another car.
+1000

I met David at a qc in scottsdale,az and pulled the info after he told me the mileage and year. I'm using the free version of leaf spy so I dont get gids. However I do get an ah rating which could be translated it was 62.34 AH. So if a gid is 80wh then that's about 276 at 3.7 volts nominal. Hx was 96.3 as well. Cells were 96F (70 ambient) he does multiple qc's a day. Quite amazing or 2015s are different and the leaf spy app isn't accurate. 385 qc's 642 l1/l2. guess I'll stop worrying. I will only have 12K in three years and I'm on my first Phoenix summer he is on his second. Found a flyer saying 2015s went on sale 8/2014 so he may have gotten one of the first ones.

What I really really want to know is what chemistry the lizard batteries are or what they changed.

+1

walterbays said:
That is good news! However Nissan still offers only the same lame capacity warranty that doesn't guarantee anything like what their marketing claimed for battery longevity, and no pro rata provision, which indicates that Nissan itself does not have confidence in the new batteries. So even though finally offering replacement battery sales was a huge step forward, I'm still leery of buying another Nissan battery - or even more so another Nissan car.

And I thought I had a lot of quick charges at 91! (along with 97 L1/L2s) I've had the 2015 six and a half months (August 31, 2014).

Other LeafSpy info from the first screen:

• AHr = 64.38, SOH = 100%
      Hx = 99.03%, odo = 7,665 mi

I don't have GIDs at full charge, but may edit this when I do. Is there anything else of interest that I should report here?

Of course, it's still anecdotal and just one more data point, but until we get a negative report on a 2015, I will remain cautiously optimistic, to use a tired cliche.

Back