Gids, winter charging, and battery temperature

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Publius

I've read a number of places that battery temperature affects battery capacity-- that a cold battery will see a temporary reduction in capacity. I'm confused. I've been closely monitoring my economy and charge cycles this winter because I am temporarily doing a long commute in the Northeast (aka, the frozen tundra right now-- it was -8 on my morning commute today). Anyhow, last summer I was getting between 240 and 246 gids on a full charge (rarely is it 246). This winter, even in temperatures consistently well below freezing, I've been getting between 236 and 241 gids on a full charge (usually 241, although 238 this morning). I don't see a huge difference in the number of gids that I get on a full charge. I also don't typically notice a correlation between battery temperature and economy, except when my battery got down to 10* today (until it warmed up to 15 or so), but 15* or 40* (in cold ambient temps), I don't see a difference. I do struggle to get economy anywhere near my summertime economy, though, and I notice a huge impact from the wind direction and speed (I swear more so than the summer)-- it seems to affect my economy more than a slight bit of snow on the road. Am I missing something? I was expecting to see a greater capacity loss to explain my reduced winter economy.

Don't confuse GIDs and charge available. Come to think of it, no one here really knows what GIDs are. We just get this number from our electronic gizmos that correlates with battery capacity and state of charge.

It is really hard to judge consistently measure the amount of energy per mile. You need to take the same course at the same speed without heat or A/C. That's really hard to do, because traffic will vary.

But if you could, I think you would notice roughly 20% less range in 0 degree weather compared to 70 degree weather. I average 5.0-5.2 miles per kWh in summer and 4.2-4.4 miles per kWh this time of year. And I can see it slowly dropping as the weather gets cold and rising again in the spring.

Remember that old tag line from auto commercials? Your mileage may vary. :-(

Bob

Temps have been similar over here in Burlington, VT this year, and I also have taken notice of lower gid count after "full" charges, and especially after preheating while still connected to the EVSE. (Seccond winter, but first winter using LEAFspy). All other times of the year, gids were 283-281 on full charge. Winter temps are showing 258-268 gids.

My first winter, but I've generally still seen 284 GIDs on a full charge that I was seeing before winter. My car was mfg'd just over 15 months ago, and this is it's first winter. I've only begun to notice GID drops on a full change when I have the car preheating while still plugged into an L2; in those cases, I've seen as low as 279 GIDs.

And this is down here in balmy MA, where we might have a record snow pack but the temps are higher then up there in the frozen north.

(my son is in Rochester, and just yesterday he was telling me how it's been so cold you no longer need to mention °F or °C when talking about the wind chill)

Back