Capitalizing off harvesting replacement batteries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillzofvalp

1) Buy a junk leaf for $2k.

2) Get replacement battery installed for $6k. (losing the original pack)

3) Go home, pull the pack out, and sell the cells to EV enthusiasts for $8-10k.

OPTIONAL STEP: Say someone stole your battery, and buy another replacement.

4) Sell the junk car for $2k.

5) Net profit: 2-4k per swap.

I don't think I would do it... but.

The battery is $5499 after a core credit of $1000. You have to return the old pack to get a $5499 battery, and it sounds like Nissan will not sell a pack without a core in exchange.

It brings up an interesting point though, and one I remember we've discussed briefly in other parts of the forum...what if your battery pack was actually stolen?

I would imagine that the only logical conclusion would be to make the claim on your insurance and have them write the car off in the absence of being able to secure a replacement pack and get it properly installed. I certainly wouldn't go-round with Nissan myself, after seeing how intransigent they can be...that would almost certainly be a fool's errand.

mwalsh said:
It brings up an interesting point though, and one I remember we've discussed briefly in other parts of the forum...what if your battery pack was actually stolen?

Having removed a 2013 battery, I don't think you need to worry about the battery being stolen without the rest of the car being stolen along with it. It's nowhere near as easy as removing wheels/tires or a catalytic converter...

Is it really basically impossible to implant a salvage leaf pack into a working leaf without being a nissan tech?

If you could get the junker for $2k, you could probably find someone who'd buy that instead of a Tesla Powerwall or two ;) Even at 70% capacity of 24kWh, that's getting close to double the capacity of one. Surely if you install it indoors, heat degradation would be less of an issue than it is in the car...

Jeez you can find a junk leaf battery in the salvage yards. I don't know what they would cost but one can be broken down and the cells could be used elsewhere.

Back