New Leaf Owner-Charger question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinst

I have been reading the forum these last few days and I have learned a lot,but there's so much to learn.

I am finding that the trickle charger is just too slow at 110.

Is it possible for me to use the dryer outlet in my house, a nema 10-30, with a 50-75 foot 12 gauge extension cord? I guess I will need to get an adapter or custom wire one side to use the Nema 10-30 plug.

I am not afraid to make the custom connector, just afraid of the nema plug itself and the length of the cord.

What am I missing, here?

I know this has probably been answered partially or possibly in complete elsewhere, but I cannot find it. I sincerely appreciate any help you all may have to offer.

The charging cable that comes with the car (called an EVSE, not a charger - that is built into the car) cannot accept 240 volts. If you want to charge faster you can use a dryer outlet, and even an RV 240 volt extension cord, but you need a 240 volt capable EVSE. You can have yours upgraded for about $300 to accept 240, and also 120 with an adapter plug.

kevinst said:
Is it possible for me to use the dryer outlet in my house, a nema 10-30, with a 50-75 foot 12 gauge extension cord? I guess I will need to get an adapter or custom wire one side to use the Nema 10-30 plug.

What am I missing, here?
Connecting the 120V EVSE to 240V will destroy it and it will not be covered by warranty.

Evesupgrade.com can modify it for use with 240V.

But using an extension cord is a bad idea.
Lot smarter and safer to have a proper dedicated 240V 20 amp twist lock outlet installed where you need it.

Thank you for the replies. I should have stated that I was aware that the evse needed to be modified for 220.

If the extension cord is really not a good idea, I'll just have to figure something else out. We are renting our current place, so I didn't want to spend money on a permanent fixture.

My employer is getting a charger set up as we speak, so that will take care of my commute to work. But my commute eats up about 90% of the charge, so another charging option at home would be nice.

IF you go with an extension cord keep in mind that not all are created equal. Getting one intended for extended draw at the amps you will be pulling is important. Fatter wires cost more, quality construction is important - so expect to pay quite a premium for the 'right' cord. While it is clearly better to avoid extension cords, it is possible to do safely if you get the right equipment and inspect it periodically (don't run it such that it gets worn, bent frequently, twisted, etc).

Consider also - many plugs are not intended to be plugged and unplugged constantly. So, if you share a plug with the dryer and go swapping it back and forth every day this will wear the outlet, perhaps beyond the engineered tolerance. This should be monitored (not sure how, but if I were doing it I would find out...). Worn plugs can fail - for example if the contacts are not tight this can cause heating and more damage...

Anyway - all this to say that there are a lot of good reasons to not use an extension (or share a plug) but it is "possible" to do it safely with the right equipment/knowledge/monitoring. Rather makes the dedicated plug or hardwired EVSE more appealing for those who can do it. IF renting I would approach the landlord and suggest the value of installing the proper plug in the garage.

^^^ I agree with the comments from slow1.

The OP said 50 to 75 foot cord.
For that distance 10 gauge minimum is required for a circuit that will be at up to 24 amps for a long time.
12 gauge is inadequate and dangerous.

But the people on MNL that reported they finally quit using extension cord, the main problems were tripping hazard or nuisance of having to take it out and put it up all the time.
One person tripped on it several times and with one last trip they were injured significantly and finally saw the light and quit using an extension cord.

If OP uses extension cord need to put in some work and have it installed up out of the way.
And that isn't real easy to do as it has to get outside the house at least to the garage.

TimLee said:
For that distance 10 gauge would be better than using 12 gauge for a circuit that will be at 16 amps for a long time.

So how thick an extension would that be? I'm picturing something akin to what you see used around temporary carnivals to power their rides (like 1.5" thick?). Would be heavy to move about too...

Slow1 said:
TimLee said:
For that distance 10 gauge minimum is required for a circuit that will be at up to 24 amps for a long time.
12 gauge is inadequate and dangerous.

So how thick an extension would that be? I'm picturing something akin to what you see used around temporary carnivals to power their rides (like 1.5" thick?). Would be heavy to move about too...
Pretty heavy.
Should look at 30 amp rated RV 240V cords.
But even 25 foot is 7 pounds and over $40 to $50.
Hard to find 75 foot.
May have to make one, although properly constructed pre made is probably safer.
75 foot 10 gauge could easily be near 30 pounds of cord.
Big part of why it is a bad idea.

Due to your responses, I will not be running a cord from my 220. I am just trickle charging as needed at home.

I sincerely appreciate the responses and I hope to be an asset to the team soon.

kevinst said:
Just be 100% certain the 120V convenience and emergency use charging supply is safe.

There are risks that unfortunately a very large % of people do not recognize.
Why Nissan recommends strongly against it unless it has been checked by qualified person.

See past post that provides lots of detsils:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18795&hilit=fire&start=10#p404695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinst said:
I have been reading the forum these last few days and I have learned a lot,but there's so much to learn.

I am not afraid to make the custom connector, just afraid of the nema plug itself and the length of the cord.

What am I missing, here?

I know this has probably been answered partially or possibly in complete elsewhere, but I cannot find it. I sincerely appreciate any help you all may have to offer.

I just went through almost exactly this situation so here's what I can tell you. (1) The internal wiring in your wall going to your dryer outlet is likely only 10 gauge wire, which is below code for a typical 30 amp Level 2 charger. If you want to avoid tearing the internal wiring out of your wall and replacing it, you'll need to get a lower amperage charger. (2) The only one that I know of is from clipper creek. They make one that pulls 24 Amps, which is up to code for your application and can use the internal wiring in your wall. This will however charge your car slightly slower than a 30AMP unit. You will get roughly 25% charge per hour with this. (3) You will need to replace your outlet with a NEMA receptacle rated at higher amperage. I put in a 14/50. (4) Your cord going to the charger will need to be at least 10 gauge wire otherwise you are out of code and may create a fire hazard. You could build your own, but please keep this in mind. I'd recommend 8 gauge as a minimum.

Lastly, another option is to send your 110v charger in for a EVSE upgrade. They can upgrade the unit to plug into your dryer outlet as well, but I'm not sure what the cost difference is compared to the above scenario. In the above scenario, you still have your 110v charger as a backup as well.

Since you line in CA you should look into some of the new laws passed regarding renters and EVs. I think they passed something that says the landlord must let you put in an EV charger if you are willing to pay the cost to do so.

If you are in ladwp they would help put a charger in... if you are in a house and you can leave the cord out. look at a 15 amp 220 charger like the TurboCord. this would limit draw to 15 amps 220 and you can take it with you. it would also make charging on 120 volts faster. it would help. call your power CO and get the lower rate if you haven't all ready. enjoy your car.

Back