Can I be a field tester for Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillzofvalp

I'll be keeping it quick, since I just lost my whole post in a browser crash. :evil:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/news/initiative_ev_pilot_program.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of the issues discussed in above article pertain to me, as a Lyft driver. My 2012 pack is going to need replacement in about 6-8 months (currently at 80% SOH 36kmiles, seems to degrade ~4%/15,000 miles so I'll be at 72-73% at 60k, likely no warranty coverage). I know another driver who will be reaching 60k in March doing same kind of work with similar aged car, so that'll be a good reference for me.

I'm going to try to drive until the leaf has some sort of failure other than the battery, unless it is barely into a pack replacement and the repair cost is reasonable.

I live in Nashville and am 30 minutes from the battery plant and corporate HQ in Franklin. I've been looking into participating as sort of a field tester or "test mule" for one of their replacement packs (think bigger than 24kWh). I've heard from a passenger that his friend was testing a bigger pack, but it could've just been the "lizard" variant. I didn't get a contact from him. I figure that I could be a good resource for Nissan and it could be a win-win.

I've written a letter to consumer affairs, and been on the phone with them. Not very helpful, and I don't blame them. It's a weird subject to bring up. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sometimes they do have outsiders do durability testing for them. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrw5fXMa78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Some comments posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=377228#p377228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

mwalsh said:
I really, really don't think they'd use an individual.
Yes, but they would use a large group of individuals. I can honestly say that I have been a field tester for over 42 months... and no, I don't have an NDA**. The results of my testing show that the Leaf is great except for accelerated battery capacity loss. Please don't tell Nissan that I revealed this flaw on a public forum. ;)

** Non-disclosure agreement

It'd be nice if they sympathized that someone tried to shuttle human beings around in a limited capacity leaf for miles (and sometimes down below 20 gids on some rides!) and out of the kindness of their heart offered me a replacement early so that I could do my job. Also a bit embarassing for them because I have to actually screen some of my passengers before I even go pick them up, especially below 6kWh in the cold. I've picked people up with 3kWh and been fine. I'm not sure you know what range anxiety is until you drive a couple drunk strangers at 2:30 in the morning and OOPS "guys you mind if we stop" and then "ok should only be 5 minutes" and then "oops you gave me wrong destination, we are doing to have to stop to charge a second time.:.

WHERE IS MY 35k used model s?!?!

I tell people all the time that I get 65 miles on a full charge. It gets oold hearing their shock... And then I tell them by the way, I have 30 miles left now and that's actually a lot!

I've never hit turtle on the road with a passenger in over 1000 rides... Rest assured

hillzofvalp said:
A lot of the issues discussed in above article pertain to me, as a Lyft driver.
Kudos to you for driving Lyft in a LEAF! It does sound like even marginally more range (as in 20% more than stock or a bit more than 40% than what you currently have) would go a long ways towards making your job easier. I'd love to see how you feel a '15 LEAF compares to yours.

I haven't seen anything on the NY LEAF Taxi experiment since it was launched. I suspect that drivers got tired of the limited range pretty quickly for a full day's worth of driving.

Back