Add aftermarket quick charge CHAdeMO port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsny

Hello

Just looking at purchasing right now. If you buy the 2013 S without the CHAdeMO port installed is it possible to have it installed later? Would that change if the car has the 3.3 or 6.6 kW OBC? Maybe the part for this could be found from: a) Nissan, b) salvage, or c) third-party.

Thanks!

dsny said:
Hello

Just looking at purchasing right now. If you buy the 2013 S without the CHAdeMO port installed is it possible to have it installed later? Would that change if the car has the 3.3 or 6.6 kW OBC? Maybe the part for this could be found from: a) Nissan, b) salvage, or c) third-party.

Thanks!
This came up many times, and the answer is that it's not easily possible, and it's worth paying for the feature upfront, if you think you will want it.

Wow thank you very much for the fast responses!

It was on the forum somewhere, just hard to remember where. And the search was not being help either, ha! :p

We are looking at the 2013/14 SV and SL but pretty much ignoring the S because it is too much work to ask every dealer with an S if their car has a Quick Charge and 6.6kW OBC. We are interested in having both the 6.6kW OBC and Quick Charge port.

Most of the S-trim models on cars.com, cargurus.com, and most of the dealerships do not seem to specify whether the car has QC and/or 6.6. Do most of these cars come without the Charge Package and the dealers just do not want customers to focus on that?

Thanks!

dsny said:
We are looking at the 2013/14 SV and SL but pretty much ignoring the S because it is too much work to ask every dealer with an S if their car has a Quick Charge and 6.6kW OBC. We are interested in having both the 6.6kW OBC and Quick Charge port.
All 13+ SV and SL have 6 kW OBC. But, not all '13+ SVs have the CHAdeMO inlet. It's part of the QC + LED package.

You're still going to need to ask, unless you stick with '13+ SL.

We physically could do it for about $2500-ish with our JdeMO kit, but honestly it would be smarter to just get the car equipped from the start with.

We have no plans to JdeMO for the Nissan LEAF.

cwerdna said:
dsny said:

All 13+ SV and SL have 6 kW OBC. But, not all '13+ SVs have the CHAdeMO inlet. It's part of the QC + LED package.

You're still going to need to ask, unless you stick with '13+ SL.

Also, the S+QC also comes with the 6.6 kW OBC. It's impossible (in the US anyway) to specify a Leaf S with one but not the other, it's either both or none at all.

You also don't have to "ask" every dealer, go to Nissan's website nissanusa.com, click on "Dealer Locator" on the upper right of the page, enter your zip code, and check "Leaf Certified" at the top of the list of dealers. Click on the dealer(s) you want to visit and select "Leaf" in the drop down. Each car that the dealer is supposed to have in inventory will be listed with any options, and the sticker price.

Sometimes the car listings bury it in with the list of standard features. And it may be called something else like the LED package or the charge package.

kikngas said:
Sometimes the car listings bury it in with the list of standard features. And it may be called something else like the LED package or the charge package.
On the '13+ SV, the CHAdeMO port is part of the "LED Headlights and Quick Charge Port Package". '13+ SV already has 6 kW OBC.

On the '13+ S, the CHAdeMO port and 6 kW OBC are what's in the "Charge Package". You can't get factory LED headlights on the S.

'13+ SL already includes CHAdeMO port, 6 kW OBC and LED headlights.

One can see the verbiage by selecting Build & Price at http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kikngas said:

On the Nissan dealer inventory website (from NissanUSA.com) the QC option (if the car is so equipped) is well spelled out. On all the Leaf S cars that I saw that had QC, it is the first line on the options list.

Now if you aren't familiar with the car, then you may not know that the QC option on the Leaf S also comes with the 6.6 kW OBC. But the Leaf page on NissanUSA.com also says it is included with that package.

Everyone seems to be uncertain about whether or not you can add quick charge capability to a Nissan Leaf, or not.
The answer is - YES! Absolutely!
Sure if you go out and buy new parts, it will cost you a few grand, but if this is something you stay on top of, there are used parts out there, however they are scarce.
You need the 6.6v charger box (6.6c OBC) and the quick charge port with cable, and if you don't want to have to do a custom cut-out job on the left port hole, then you should get a plate with a different part #, that it bolts into in the front of your car, and the little cap that covers the Quick charge port.
Those are items you need to make it work.
Then you will need to take it to the dealership and have them do the work, so it's done right.
If you can get the parts for around $1500, that would be just about right, then expect to spend $600 to $1000 for labor, but with a max $2500 spent, it makes your car worth around $2000 more with level 3 charging capability, when you go to sell it!
And you can buy a solar panel for the Leaf for $199 and it's just a little plug, for that extra charging capability.
The solar panel is certainly optional, but for small money, why not go all the way?

If anyone is seriosly interested in doing this, I can give you the Nissan part numbers.

I have a 2013 SV without Quick Charge (but I have the 6.6kw OBC). Hopefully, it would just need the chademo inlet/harness...
Evergreen - can you post or send me the part number(s)?

Whoever this "evergreen" is... doesn't know what he's talking about :roll:

There's alot more to it then this... :lol:
Those are items you need to make it work.

Those are NOT the only items needed to make it work... and I never heard of ANY Nissan dealer converting a non-CHAdeMO to a CHAdeMO vehicle.

My Leaf doesn't have QC and I investigated this deeply... it's ALOT of work or pull and transplant from a donor vehicle.

It was easier to put two Brusa's under the hood then rip the whole car apart!

And I've done it! ;)

Jason or anyone else who might know this, I have 2012 SV 3.3 kw without QC. I'm looking for any way to plug into CHAdeMO charging station and for that you would need that CHAdeMO install in the Leaf normaly.

But, is there a way to charge from CHAdeMO even on tempered power and have some other charging mecanism than the Leaf original setup provides like third party DC charging unit that would bypass the Leafs charging mecanism?

Sometimes the only charging stations available are CHAdeMO and nothing above 3.3 kW available so extra Brusa's would not help even if they are very attractive for their power output.

thorvgis said:
But, is there a way to charge from CHAdeMO even on tempered power and have some other charging mecanism than the Leaf original setup provides like third party DC charging unit that would bypass the Leafs charging mecanism?

As I previously stated in this thread, it can be done, of course, but VERY few would pay to have it done.

For those very few who would buy a car without the CHAdeMO charging port, they are doing so to SAVE MONEY. So, those people aren't likely to want to spend real money to fix this problem.

We currently offer JdeMO for the 2012-2014 Toyota Rav4 EV, and soon to be the Tesla Roadster, as well as others:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo-for-Rav4EV-JdeMORav4.htm

Thanks Tony I will absoulutly check this out. I imported my Leaf from US thinking it had the QC port but by misunderstanding it didn't. so hence I'm looking for this solution.

Back