2015 Heating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

So Nissan called me today to see if I wanted to buy or extend my lease. I told them I needed to test it thru this winter (new job, don't know how well it will go with the new range). So, she happens to mention that the 2015 model has some new heating system that doesn't effect the range of the leaf.

This shocked the hell out of me (I think I would of heard something about this) and so hit the tubes to search, but all to no avail. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this just some card reading salesperson who has no idea what they are talking about?

Limey said:
So Nissan called me today to see if I wanted to buy or extend my lease. I told them I needed to test it thru this winter (new job, don't know how well it will go with the new range). So, she happens to mention that the 2015 model has some new heating system that doesn't effect the range of the leaf.

This shocked the hell out of me (I think I would of heard something about this) and so hit the tubes to search, but all to no avail. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this just some card reading salesperson who has no idea what they are talking about?

They are talking about the heat pump in 2013-2015 SV and SL models (not S models). Also know as the hybrid heater. Saying heating does not effect range is a bit of a stretch. It does drastically reduce energy use of the heater up until about 12 F (not exactly sure at what temp the heat pump stops being helpful). So up until a certain temperature you will get 10%-20% more range while using the hybrid heater.

Hope that helps,

J

Yet another example of salescreatures distorting and lying, I'm afraid. In mild temps (down to about 40F) the heat pump uses not much more power than running the A/C does in Summer. From there to about 32 it uses a bit more, then still more down to about 24F. From there to about 14F you are still using less power than the resistance heater requires, but it really affects range. Below about 14F the heat pump is still contributing (down to about 5f) but the consumption is just about as high as with the resistance unit alone. So if you have mild Winters the heat pump-equipped Leafs are amazingly better than the ones without it. If you get frigid temps and lots of wind, the difference is much less in those conditions.

I've driven my 2015 for a commute in freezing temps (-3c) for 45 miles (each way, L1 at work for 10hrs) once so far. Pretty much the whole way I kept the cabin at a comfortable warm temp. I used preheating and used the seat heater. I kept it on auto (in eco drive) the whole way to work and it pretty much stayed at 1.5kw usuage for the climate control the whole way. I think the highest range number was under -20 at the start of the trip.

Today at +3 and a few other days around the same the usuage has been around the 0.75kw range with about -12km from the range. Again that was with preheating, seat heaters and keeping it in auto the whole way.

minispeed said:
I've driven my 2015 for a commute in freezing temps (-3c) for 45 miles (each way, L1 at work for 10hrs) once so far. Pretty much the whole way I kept the cabin at a comfortable warm temp. I used preheating and used the seat heater. I kept it on auto (in eco drive) the whole way to work and it pretty much stayed at 1.5kw usuage for the climate control the whole way. I think the highest range number was under -20 at the start of the trip.

Today at +3 and a few other days around the same the usuage has been around the 0.75kw range with about -12km from the range. Again that was with preheating, seat heaters and keeping it in auto the whole way.

Wore my touque and jacket while driving yesterday and today and was able to drop the climate 3 degrees (21C) and still be comfortable. It made a big impact on the use. Today was just at freezing, 0C to -1C and for the first 3rd of the trip it was 2kw to 1.25 then it settled down around 0.75kw for the rest. The total range hit was showing 4 to 7km. I think the previous day that it showed 20km was because the previous drive was a warm day (that was a freak cold day from 15C or so the day before to -3 the next morning) and the car was expecting to be able to drive at the previous days consumption. Yesterday was about 3C, again I kept the heat about 21C and the heater started out at about 0.75 then went down to mostly 0.25 to 0.5 and sometimes even 0.

We've been at -23C here the past couple days... Down to about 2.5 to 2.8 miles per KW from 4.2mi/KW 3 days ago.

I can tell you that the heat pump in the 2013 model doesn't seem to work especially well down in those temperatures. The Prius' normal engine heat works awesome though. Can heat that car up like a sauna, after a good 15minutes of driving. :)

2k1Toaster said:
We've been at -23C here the past couple days... Down to about 2.5 to 2.8 miles per KW from 4.2mi/KW 3 days ago.

I can tell you that the heat pump in the 2013 model doesn't seem to work especially well down in those temperatures. The Prius' normal engine heat works awesome though. Can heat that car up like a sauna, after a good 15minutes of driving. :)

Have you tried a grill block or the heater hose insulation?

minispeed said:
2k1Toaster said:

Have you tried a grill block or the heater hose insulation?

Nope. Doesn't really bother me. I generally don't need heat at all, just drive with all the HVAC off. I am just testing out the heater since I didn't use it at all last year and this was the first time we got some colder weather.

The Prius or another car is what we take for long hauls into the mountains. I don't do any grill blocking on the Prius either even though lots of people like it. I just let the car be a car.

LeftieBiker said:
Yet another example of salescreatures distorting and lying, I'm afraid. In mild temps (down to about 40F) the heat pump uses not much more power than running the A/C does in Summer. From there to about 32 it uses a bit more, then still more down to about 24F. From there to about 14F you are still using less power than the resistance heater requires, but it really affects range. Below about 14F the heat pump is still contributing (down to about 5f) but the consumption is just about as high as with the resistance unit alone. So if you have mild Winters the heat pump-equipped Leafs are amazingly better than the ones without it. If you get frigid temps and lots of wind, the difference is much less in those conditions.

Not surprised on that. That's why I make car salesmen verify everything they say.

Guess I just have to sit here and hope that the 2016 model will finally have the bigger battery choices, otherwise it might be time for a Volt. I'd get a Tesla, but they don't sell them in Wisconsin (the thought of having to go to Chicago just to get service done gives me the shakes!)

Limey said:
I'd get a Tesla, but they don't sell them in Wisconsin (the thought of having to go to Chicago just to get service done gives me the shakes!)

Doesn't Tesla have a mobile service option? At the very least you should be able to get service done right over the border since they sell it in that state. I did some searching and there's a tesla owners group in Wisconsin (didn't find a link just a quote) so you might want to reach out and see how they get service done.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can afford a Tesla, then I suggest a Leaf for warm weather *and* a Volt for cold.

I've heard in the cold weather a volt will be forced to run on gas no matter what you do so a plain old cheaper ICE or hybrid would be better.

minispeed said:
Limey said:
I'd get a Tesla, but they don't sell them in Wisconsin (the thought of having to go to Chicago just to get service done gives me the shakes!)

Doesn't Tesla have a mobile service option? At the very least you should be able to get service done right over the border since they sell it in that state. I did some searching and there's a tesla owners group in Wisconsin (didn't find a link just a quote) so you might want to reach out and see how they get service done.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can afford a Tesla, then I suggest a Leaf for warm weather *and* a Volt for cold.

I've heard in the cold weather a volt will be forced to run on gas no matter what you do so a plain old cheaper ICE or hybrid would be better.
I asked a former Volt owner about this. In cold weather, the engine defaults to starting until the pack gets warm. You can set the temp at which this happens down to 25, I think. This would allow someone down here to avoid having the engine come on, but not in WI, of course. I agree that the 2015 has been using less range to hear in cool weather, but we're taking more of a hit with what we call real cold weather.

But if I had the money for a Tesla, I wouldn't screw around with anything less. They do have service Rangers who will come to your door and loaners during service. Check for a local group on the Tesla users forum or Facebook and see what they're experiencing.

They were reporting that the new model was suppose to be around 40k.

Tesla doesn't actually list a price on it website, a big red flag that it won't be cheap. You just need to plunk down 5 grand to reserve one, and they will tell you the price later.

Those seagull doors are really sweet though!

Limey said:
They were reporting that the new model was suppose to be around 40k.

Tesla doesn't actually list a price on it website, a big red flag that it won't be cheap. You just need to plunk down 5 grand to reserve one, and they will tell you the price later.

Those seagull doors are really sweet though!

The new model under "40k" is the model iii which hasn't come out yet and they aren't taking reservations, not even a concept car shot or a computer rendering. It will have a smaller battery and probably be steel not aluminum which will help with costs. I would also guess the 200 miles stated range will be the top end trim and will cost more than $40K, the under $40K will probably be 150 miles.

The next model that they are taking deposits for, with the fancy "falcon" doors as Tesla calls them is the X. Since it is Model S based it is going to be around the same price, It will also be awd only so price out a Model S D and add $7500, that's my guess.

minispeed said:
The new model under "40k" is the model iii which hasn't come out yet and they aren't taking reservations, not even a concept car shot or a computer rendering. It will have a smaller battery and probably be steel not aluminum which will help with costs. I would also guess the 200 miles stated range will be the top end trim and will cost more than $40K, the under $40K will probably be 150 miles.

The next model that they are taking deposits for, with the fancy "falcon" doors as Tesla calls them is the X. Since it is Model S based it is going to be around the same price, It will also be awd only so price out a Model S D and add $7500, that's my guess.

Man! I thought the X was going to be the 40k model! Well, that kills that idea! now I just have to hope that the 2016 leaf gets a bigger battery.

minispeed said:

Going to look into this, it might be a good option if I can pick up a used Tesla.

Limey said:
minispeed said:

Going to look into this, it might be a good option if I can pick up a used Tesla.

Could only find old stories about it, but that want a $1 a mile! That would mean just to get my car to the shop and back, it would cost about $180!!!!!

Back