Clipper Creek cable 18 gauge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEG

Just received a Clipper Creek LCS-20 for my 2011 Leaf. The charge cable conductor is 18 AWG - at 22'. That is a tiny conductor for a 15 amp continuous load. Anyone have experience with this charger? 18 AWG OK? NO? YES?

The 18 AWG is the pilot wire, the power wires will be 14 AWG. Clipper Creek doesn't make junk.

Changed to 14 AWG. ;)

I see. Looks like I need to research how these chargers work in order to understand why the pilot wire can be sized smaller than the power wire. Parallel? Off to Google.

JimEG said:
I see. Looks like I need to research how these chargers work in order to understand why the pilot wire can be sized smaller than the power wire. Parallel? Off to Google.
The pilot wire is only communication.
Hardly any current at all.
That is why 18 gauge the same as used for traditional phone lines is all that is needed.

The pilot line on an EVSE is fed from a 1K resistor. Virtually any size wire will work.

https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK. I misread the labeling on the cable the first time. The cable includes 14 AWG and 18 AWG conductors - assuming 14 for power and 18 for pilot (communication). Interesting, still. Considering the minimum circuit size is 20 amps which will be wired with 12 AWG then connected to a 14 AWG lead - must have a higher temp rated insulation - and the 14 AWG appears to be standard for these chargers - including the Leviton lead. Thanks for the comments.

Back