What is the maximum level 2 charging voltage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

Just thought the car might charge faster on the road If I boosted the voltage to the EVSE via a buck/boost auto transformer. What would be the maximum safe charging voltage that could be put into the leaf? Would it make a difference? I know it can charge at 200 volts, but more slowly. Is the converse true?

Interesting question . . . the highest AC voltage allowed probably would be "264V" (as measured by an "RMS" AC Voltmeter). I may be wrong, but I suspect, the higher the input AC voltage applied to the EVSE, the lower the AC current actually drawn from it by the car being charged. This is to balance (stabilize) the OBC's power output so it does not exceed its maximum rating. The only possible advantage of raising the input voltage, might be related to charging "efficiency"; the higher the better. It might also be beneficial in helping to lower heat dissipation slightly in the J1772 cable and input wiring to the EVSE. The disadvantage of this would be intentionally putting higher stress on the wiring insulation. This is why good quality wire used in AC power applications should have a voltage rating of "600V".

Not sure if the charger is current limited or power limited, or both. I know the car charges a lot slower on 208 volts which acts like current limiting. But yeah, it might start dropping the current as the voltage increases, which is power limiting. But at 268 volts if the current stays constant, you'd have about a 10 percent increase, which would save you 15 minutes on a 3 hour charge. I just want to keep the smoke canisters inside the charger sealed.

I charge my RAV4 at 280 VAC, the Tesla chargers are 277 VAC units. The LEAF gets plan old 240 VAC, nothing to gain raising the voltage above 240 VAC.

Back