Making sense of battery stat numbers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdbrusco

Hey everyone. I just bought a WiFi reader to check stats on my 2015 Leaf and am wondering if any of you can make sense of them for me? I am using Leaf Stats for iphone. I have a 2015 S model with 1500 miles on it. The dash reading was saying 81% charge when I took the reading.

231 Gids 17.9 kwh
79.19% State of Charge
94.08% SOH
96.29% HX 62.34 Ahr
82.4 Avg Temp

I know that the 2015 have the new "lizard" battery and just want to make sure that these numbers are within normal range? I'm guessing they are? The interesting thing to me is that the dash reads 81% and the app reads 79%, This seems to indicate that a full 100% charge would yield 96-97% of total battery charge. I'm also not sure how to compare the SOH and the HX/Ahr numbers. What do they mean? The temp reading is a bit high because we've been having a bit of a heat spell here in California. Or perhaps the new lizards insulate differently? I've never seen more than 6 temp bars on the dash, even in the hottest days we've had in high 90's here this week. Should I run this again at 100% charge for more accurate numbers?

On another note, can any of you guys give me estimates on predicting bar loss based on the stats above? I want to turn around and sell the car before I lose my 2nd, or possibly before I lose my 3rd bar and would love a way to predict that. That has always been the plan for this car. Drive it for up to three years (we bought not leased because we drive too much). I need to get $11,500 for it in about 3 years to have driven a car for free for that time. Hoping I can come close.

The App reads the actual absolute battery capacity and the car reads the relative fullness of the battery without regard to actual capacity. Thus, as the battery degrades, the numbers will diverge...
Those numbers seem low to me for a basically new car but there is anecdotal evidence that it may improve with a little time... Since little is known about the Lizard and there is no track record, there is currently no way to predict what its degradation over time will be...

tkdbrusco said:
The interesting thing to me is that the dash reads 81% and the app reads 79%

tkdbrusco said:
Hey everyone. I just bought a WiFi reader to check stats on my 2015 Leaf and am wondering if any of you can make sense of them for me? I am using Leaf Stats for iphone. I have a 2015 S model with 1500 miles on it. The dash reading was saying 81% charge when I took the reading.

231 Gids 17.9 kwh
79.19% State of Charge
94.08% SOH
96.29% HX 62.34 Ahr
82.4 Avg Temp

I know that the 2015 have the new "lizard" battery and just want to make sure that these numbers are within normal range? I'm guessing they are? The interesting thing to me is that the dash reads 81% and the app reads 79%, This seems to indicate that a full 100% charge would yield 96-97% of total battery charge. I'm also not sure how to compare the SOH and the HX/Ahr numbers. What do they mean? The temp reading is a bit high because we've been having a bit of a heat spell here in California. Or perhaps the new lizards insulate differently? I've never seen more than 6 temp bars on the dash, even in the hottest days we've had in high 90's here this week. Should I run this again at 100% charge for more accurate numbers?

On another note, can any of you guys give me estimates on predicting bar loss based on the stats above? I want to turn around and sell the car before I lose my 2nd, or possibly before I lose my 3rd bar and would love a way to predict that. That has always been the plan for this car. Drive it for up to three years (we bought not leased because we drive too much). I need to get $11,500 for it in about 3 years to have driven a car for free for that time. Hoping I can come close.

Please provide a reading after a 100% charge before driving. Additionally take another reading right
after the first bar 'drops'. Also, when in the high 90's after driving and/or heat soaking for more
than a hour, read the battery temp with the app.

thankyouOB said:
tkdbrusco said:
Hey everyone. I just bought a WiFi reader to check stats on my 2015 Leaf a.

is that all i need to be able to get data off the leaf, a WIFI reader app?
what is it called?

Yes. I use the Xseries wifi adapter sold on Amazon. I use it for my iPad mini and iphone 4S.

you need to charge to full 3-4 days in a row then take readings. if possible, drive at least 50 miles per day while doing this.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09/manipulating-battery-stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/10/battery-stats-part-two.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will do. Not a problem. My daily commute is 52 miles round trip and my wife's is 60 round trip. I'm interested to see how the new "lizard" battery holds up. Jury is still out on the car for the wife. Although she has chargers at work so its not an issue at all for her. If our three year experiment works out, and we can sell the car for at least $11K at that point, we've driven a free car for three years! Hoping in 3 years there's a model with 130+ range, or an option to put a longer range battery in our leaf.

tkdbrusco said:
Will do. Not a problem. My daily commute is 52 miles round trip and my wife's is 60 round trip. I'm interested to see how the new "lizard" battery holds up. Jury is still out on the car for the wife. Although she has chargers at work so its not an issue at all for her. If our three year experiment works out, and we can sell the car for at least $11K at that point, we've driven a free car for three years! Hoping in 3 years there's a model with 130+ range, or an option to put a longer range battery in our leaf.

We should have some info in a few months hopefully. Steve Marsh is now in the market for a pack replacement. At 160+ miles per day, it should not take too long to see how they hold up. Keep in mind, the extra range (small as it may be but enough) should allow him to only charge at home and work. The real question is how long he can do this compared to his OEM 2011 pack

Ran the numbers this morning after charging to 100% I hadn't driven it since the last reading though, just charged it up.

292 GIDs 22.63kwh
97.31% SOC (dash reading 100%)
94.08% capacity (SOH) - this seems a bit weird to me since I'm getting the same 292 GIDs that everyone else is for brand new 2015s. I feel like it should be higher.
96.29% HX 62.34Ahr
74.4 avg temp.

I'll keep running them for a few days and see what changes. I also want to take readings after first and second bar drops so that I can get some anticipatory readings on when I will lose those bars in the future (when to sell it).

tkdbrusco said:
Ran the numbers this morning after charging to 100% I hadn't driven it since the last reading though, just charged it up.

292 GIDs 22.63kwh
97.31% SOC (dash reading 100%)
94.08% capacity (SOH) - this seems a bit weird to me since I'm getting the same 292 GIDs that everyone else is for brand new 2015s. I feel like it should be higher.
96.29% HX 62.34Ahr
74.4 avg temp.

I'll keep running them for a few days and see what changes. I also want to take readings after first and second bar drops so that I can get some anticipatory readings on when I will lose those bars in the future (when to sell it).

The key number is AHrs. Your 62 AHr is less than some (67 AHr) who took delivery at the 1st of the 2014.
Mine (delivery 12/2013) at 6K miles when first checked was about 60 AHr and now at 12k miles is 57 AHr.
So I expect to 'drop' the 1st bar at just about 24K miles.

I have a 2015 "S" that I leased about 3 months ago here in Texas. The car evidently sat on the dealer lot for about 6 weeks before I took possession. Yesterday I acquired an OBD-II device (thanks, Gary) and downloaded LEAF Spy. It's apparent that, even with the Lizard battery (I do have that, right?) my battery has suffered some significant degradation. Or has it? I really don't understand the stats that well. Here are two screen shots taken this morning after a 100% charge.

Only 278 GIDs

2014-10-27-08-59-01.jpg

AHr=59.25, SOH=95%, Hx=91.30%
And why are all the bars red?

2014-10-27-09-00-19.jpg

Does anything else jump out at people that indicates a problem?

billg said:
I have a 2015 "S" that I leased about 3 months ago here in Texas. The car evidently sat on the dealer lot for about 6 weeks before I took possession. Yesterday I acquired an OBD-II device (thanks, Gary) and downloaded LEAF Spy. It's apparent that, even with the Lizard battery (I do have that, right?) my battery has suffered some significant degradation. Or has it? I really don't understand the stats that well. Here are two screen shots taken this morning after a 100% charge.

Only 278 GIDs

2014-10-27-08-59-01.jpg

AHr=59.25, SOH=95%, Hx=91.30%
And why are all the bars red?

2014-10-27-09-00-19.jpg

Does anything else jump out at people that indicates a problem?

hard to say. looks like it could be readings from a car not fully charged every day and driven lightly.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/09/manipulating-battery-stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/10/battery-stats-part-two.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would fully charge it 5 days in a row then check your numbers

DaveinOlyWA said:
hard to say. looks like it could be readings from a car not fully charged every day and driven lightly.
Guilty on both counts, Dave. I've been averaging about 30 miles per day and I've only been charging every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the links to your battery stats posts. They were helpful. I will charge every night for a week and see if my stats change any. I can't promise any more miles, though. :(

billg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Guilty on both counts, Dave. I've been averaging about 30 miles per day and I've only been charging every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the links to your battery stats posts. They were helpful. I will charge every night for a week and see if my stats change any. I can't promise any more miles, though. :(

Even at 30 miles, I would expect your ahr to at least move in the the 62-63 ahr range. temps are seemingly playing a part at least for my 2013. The cooler temps seems to enable higher numbers even when parked for periods of time longer than when I would see drops during the warm Summer months. I am gathering data for Batt Stats 3.

Example; last weekend, drove an average of 15 miles per day and last full charge was Friday Morn. Normally I would be ahr in the 63's after a day and half of light driving but was still in the 65's. more than a little surprising. Will be doing the Corolla today to extend the experiment a bit and will report back

For the record. I just ran a 100% reading on my 2015 S, after letting it sit for about a week in my garage at 50% charge and it was lower than usual. 286 Gids, 97.1% SOC, 91.7% health, 60.8 Ahr, etc... These were much lower numbers than what I had been getting before. on prior 100% charges I was getting 292 Gids and on one occasion 289. I'm trying not to read much into it. I know that it will degrade over time. If I analyze it, its gonna drive me nuts. I'm just gonna try to take readings to predict when my second bar will drop and sell it off just before then.

tkdbrusco said:
For the record. I just ran a 100% reading on my 2015 S, after letting it sit for about a week in my garage at 50% charge and it was lower than usual. 286 Gids, 97.1% SOC, 91.7% health, 60.8 Ahr, etc... These were much lower numbers than what I had been getting before. on prior 100% charges I was getting 292 Gids and on one occasion 289. I'm trying not to read much into it. I know that it will degrade over time. If I analyze it, its gonna drive me nuts. I'm just gonna try to take readings to predict when my second bar will drop and sell it off just before then.

#1 thing; charge enough to get you where you need to go with a bit extra (things pop up unexpectedly) then add 25% when it gets cold.

#2 thing; there is no evidence real or anecdotal that even vaguely suggests you are doing any permanent damage so you are ok whether you charge fully every day or once a month. new blog that kinda sorta touches on the subject a little...

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/10/80-charging-why-i-dont-miss-it-and-why.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tkdbrusco said:

That 60.8 Ahr reading was what my 2013 (del. 12/13) had at about 3K miles. Now at about 13K miles
it's down to 57 Ahr. Those readings posted by some in the low 60s very very rare!

"44,598 miles on 2011 LEAF (retired) 2013 LEAF;14,388 miles. Ah; 64.24-66.39, Hx; 97.11-102.35% kwh 22.0 @70% estimate; 127,105 miles
Sep 2014 Drive Stats. Corolla;213 miles, $19.20, LEAF;2032 miles $44.78
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "

So the 64-66 Ahr values should be easily corroborated by average ranges exceeding most 2013 Leafs'
range by 5-10%, i.e. the low to mid 90 miles for that additional Ahrs.

Back