jucie box premium any one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeke

has any one installed a juice box premium? strongly considering it. I'm thinking i'll need a level 2 charger before winter and this one looks great, but would love to hear from a fellow leaf owner about real world use.

I have a premium JuiceBox from the kickstarter campaign. I did not do the wifi upgrade, since I don't intend to monitor my usage that closely. I went with the premium for the start timer function and the ability to control current easily. I like the lcd, and the usage meter, but the remote I just clipped to the unit so it didn't get lost. I have had a couple of issues, one with how it resumes after power outage, and another with fitment of the backplane to the shell. I fixed the fitment issue with a Dremel, and figured out the power issue in the firmware. I did add an RTC module, but didn't have the time/motivation to clip in polling the RTC in the firmware. I just settle for default behavior for now, since it will charge when power returns.
Of note, I have used my JuiceBox with a 7500w genset at 240v to charge my Leaf and it functions correctly. I also carry it in the trunk when I 'travel' outside my normal range, as a security blanket.
I assembled my own unit, and had a few minor issues with the bell wire (included in the kit) breaking while I was working on the unit. Mostly from what could be called excessive assembly/disassembly on my part. I would recommend soldering headers on the circuit board to prevent this if you choose to assemble it yourself. They are inexpensive and can be bought on ebay in variety to fit all the connections. Maybe Val could source an upgrade kit with just the needed ones.
As for support, Val is on MNL pretty regularly, and responds to email on his site pretty quickly too. He is also constantly improving the hardware and software, and posts notices of updates on the JuiceBox thread on MNL.
I would have no trouble recommending a JuiceBox Premium, since it works quite well for most of my needs.

Back