Install 30amp plug in my home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andolyn

I'm going to have an electrician install a 30 amp plug for me in my home for Ev charging. (Leaf) Im thinking I need to ask for a 40amp breaker with 8/2 or 8/3 wire and an L6-30 plug? Im going to go the 20/40/20 squared d breaker. Im just making making sure I have the right set up done. I was hoping i might have a 30 amp plug by my dryer but no such luck.
Any fed back would be greatly appreciated.

Andolyn said:
I'm going to have an electrician install a 30 amp plug for me in my home for Ev charging. (Leaf) Im thinking I need to ask for a 40amp breaker with 8/2 or 8/3 wire and an L6-30 plug? Im going to go the 20/40/20 squared d breaker. Im just making making sure I have the right set up done. I was hoping i might have a 30 amp plug by my dryer but no such luck.

If you ever think you might be in the market for a Tesla, go 14-50 or at least 14-30. If you think you'll be in the house for a while and this won't be your last electric car then go with a 50amp. Right now the leaf will top out at about 27amp or so and it's the first gen. They will only get faster. You can use the wire for a 50 amp and still put a 30amp breaker and/or plug and then later if you want to upgrade it's a simple job, done in 20min.

minispeed said:
Andolyn said:

If you ever think you might be in the market for a Tesla, go 14-50 or at least 14-30. If you think you'll be in the house for a while and this won't be your last electric car then go with a 50amp. Right now the leaf will top out at about 27amp or so and it's the first gen. They will only get faster. You can use the wire for a 50 amp and still put a 30amp breaker and/or plug and then later if you want to upgrade it's a simple job, done in 20min.

What wire will i need for 50amp?

Here's a Thread on an L6-30R I installed at my Parent's house:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andolyn said:
I'm thinking the ev upgrade. Having the stock charger that comes with the car upgraded to be used with both 120/240
Then you only need 30 amp supply to an L6-30 outlet with 30 amp 2 pole 240v breaker and #10 wire.

If you want to future proof it and pulling the wire is a PITN then you can use #6 for a 50 amp circuit some day.
Nothing wrong with oversize wire but the breaker and outlet can remain 30 amp.
I would prefer the 30 amp L6-30 outlet to avoid adapters.

So what I'm hearing is run the 40amp breaker with #6/2 or do i need 6/3? gauge wire using a 14-50 plug? Might give me a little future proofing? Will have an adapter for the 30 amp male to the 14-50 receptical? Any ideas for best $$ on the 6/3? . ill need les than a 100' but want to but 100' roll

Andolyn said:
So what I'm hearing is run the 40amp breaker with #6/2 or do i need 6/3? gauge wire using a 14-50 plug? Might give me a little future proofing? Will have an adapter for the 30 amp male to the 14-50 receptical? Any ideas for best $$ on the 6/3? . ill need les than a 100' but want to but 100' roll
Nope, basically you have 2 options:

1. 50 amp breaker and 14-50 outlet with 6/3 wire, and use an adapter to connect your EVSEupgrade with L6-30. Recommended for future proofing and versatility.

2. 30 amp breaker and L6-30 outlet with 10/2 wire, or 6/2 or 6/3 for future proofing. Works fine for your EVSE up to 24 amps and you can save a few bucks on wire with 10/2, but most of the cost is labor anyway, so why not go big?

Your receptacle should match your breaker and wire. So while you don't need the extra conductor in 6/3 for charging purposes, the 14-50 receptacle advertises that it's there, so it must be there. Plus it gives you some added versatility - the neutral would allow you to build an adapter to use high-power 120v appliances or power tools from the outlet if you'd like, or you could plug in an RV should the need for that ever arise. If none of that matters to you you could go with 6/2 and a 6-50 outlet.

Likewise, you can't put a 30 amp outlet on 40 amp breaker, and while you can put a 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker, that would be ill advised. I wouldn't recommend a 40 amp breaker for just about anything except hardwiring a 30 amp EVSE.

I bought mine on Amazon. Check eBay too.

Andolyn said:
Ya. Option 1 is the way im going. Any ideas where to get the best $$ for the 6/3? I'm in orange county area 92870 of Southern california.

Andolyn said:
Ya. Option 1 is the way im going. Any ideas where to get the best $$ for the 6/3? I'm in orange county area 92870 of Southern california.

Most guys I know get there wire from home depot or lowe's. You might do a trick to like get one of their credit cards and get 10 percent off at the same time.

Back