spy says 90% dash says 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedymike

Dash on '12 SL says charged to 100% but Leaf Spy indicates only to 90.8%. Charger will not allow more (will not switch to charge mode to allow more). How can I charge all the way?

Unfortunately you are charged all the way it will go. The dash is telling you it is charged 100% of what is available - Leaf Spy is telling you've charged to 90.8% of the battery's original capacity.

The only dash readout I get on my 2012 is the number of bars. But 12 bars never equals 100%. The best you might get is 95%. Somewhere in the low 90s is very common.

As for charge relative to original capacity, I get something around 75% of the original capacity on a 92% charge (where a "charge to 100%" stops) because the battery has degraded so much over the past two years.

speedymike said:
How can I charge all the way?

The first capacity bar on the dash is 15%, so you can lose up to 15% of the original battery capacity and the dash will still indicate 100%. You are now charging to 100% of the 90% capacity you have remaining. Installing a new battery pack is the only way to get back to charging to 100%.

speedymike said:
Thanks. Sounds like my leaf then is down 9.2% from original. Time to start saving for that new battery.
Fortunately, most of that was probably due to the Nissan software update that came out late last summer. If you search for the P3227 update, you'll see a lot of our complaining... I saw roughly a 7% decrease in total capacity after the update.

Back