Q: 12v battery trickle charging via solar panel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

I have been learning via this forum that the 12v battery needs to be monitored to avoid a no start condition.
I am wondering if I can use my 12v/100 watt solar panel and charge controller to recharge/top off the 12v Leaf battery.
Now normally when I recharge AGM batteries I connect the + to + and - to -. But in the Leaf batteries case I can not go directly to the negative post.
Will this work if I use the other grounds mentioned for jump-starting and DC-AC inverters?
Or would I have to remove the 12v Leaf battery connections?

Thanks in advance.

As long as the actual output voltage is above 13, sure, try it. Connect the positive to positive, and the negative to a ground on the car. Better yet, get a Battery Tender Jr, attach the hardwire lead to the battery and to ground (you may want to make it longer so it will reach into the charge port), and connect the solar panel by splicing it into the Tender's power cord. This is assuming the panel has a blocking diode to prevent current from flowing back into it. That way you can use the Tender when it's not sunny, and the PV panel when it is.

LeftieBiker said:
As long as the actual output voltage is above 13, sure, try it. Connect the positive to positive, and the negative to a ground on the car. Better yet, get a Battery Tender Jr, attach the hardwire lead to the battery and to ground (you may want to make it longer so it will reach into the charge port), and connect the solar panel by splicing it into the Tender's power cord. This is assuming the panel has a blocking diode to prevent current from flowing back into it. That way you can use the Tender when it's not sunny, and the PV panel when it is.

This
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...=1404255773&sr=8-1&keywords=Battery+Tender+Jr

I'm confused about the part where you mention attach the hardwire lead to battery and ground. ...reach into the charge port.
I don't understand any part of that. hehe, sorry, could you please elaborate?
There are a couple of accessories in the pic. You mean the wire with the eyelets?
And reach into the charge port? ugh, I feel sheepish, what?

The panel has the diode.

The Battery Tender Jr comes with a simple two wire lead (the wire with the eyelets) that you connect to the battery's positive terminal and to a negative ground elsewhere (the inverter housing, usually). The lead has a quick connector, with a cap, that connects to the lead from the tender. This means you can avoid using the alligator clips. The only problem is that the lead for the engine compartment is awfully short: if you want to have it reach into the charging port (to allow connection without opening the hood), you have to make the cable longer. AC power cord for small appliances and power bricks works fine. Keep in mind that you will want to run the wire through the charge port before you finish the extension, or at least make the hole you will have to drill in the plastic charge port backing large enough to get it through. I'll be adding a rubber grommet, split to allow after the fact installation, to that hole.

Excellent idea. Now I got ya. I wasn't thinking about making it possible to use with the hood shut.
You Da Man!

LeftieBiker said:
I'm just following the lead of others here. My only original contribution is a battery-powered standalone heater for the driver.

Can I see what you came up with? Cooler weather will be here shortly and you've peaked my interest. :mrgreen:

Back