Renting replacement batteries for the Leaf??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSender

I read that Nissan would only "rent" replacement batteries for the Leaf. They would not allow you to buy it. The cost as I read was $100 month!!! You have to pay this forever.
This may be in violation of the act which demands that manufactures provide replacement parts.
In any case, it is complete greed by Nissan. It destroys the economical reasons for having an electric car. :evil:
I hope 3rd parties see the opportunity to supply batteries to Leaf owners. Maybe even junk yards will sell replacement cells.
Any other thoughts?

I would expect the price of the car to go down, Maybe getting price inline with a ICE Car. The Batteries you don't own the battery you pay a monthly rental for them (Forever I guess) Nissan get the cost of the batteries over the life of the car. $100x12monthx10year = $12,000 But as long as the body, and motor etc last you car will always be over X bars, or they will replace the bad cell.

Also once the car is out of warranty period, If there are batteries available in the open market you could buy them, Nissan does not own your car, once the warranty is over you can put any after market parts you want in it.

I personally will never buy Nissan again. If I wanted to lease I would have done so. This is even worse. You can only "rent" the battery!
I did buy a Leaf, and now regret it. I wish the policy had been known BEFORE I purchased. :evil:
Yes, let's hope that 3rd parties step in and help. This is a big IF however. Nobody is going to manufacture them for one type of car; not worth it. The only real hope is that good cells can be reclaimed by Junk yards.

Just a few months ago I used to like my Leaf.

PS: as condition of receiving a new battery you must turn in the old battery. This keeps battery cells OFF the secondary markets. You can't sell good cells.

I save 1650 per year in fuel driving my leaf. I dont see any other parts of the car going bad except for the battery. Personally, instead of putting 10 grand into a car worth less than twice that, I'd rather rent the battery. Provided they put a clause in there that if the car ever becomes broken beyond economical repair they would take the battery back and stop charging me rent. 100 bucks a month is a lot less than a 250 a month car payment!

TheSender said:
PS: as condition of receiving a new battery you must turn in the old battery. This keeps battery cells OFF the secondary markets. You can't sell good cells.
Doesn't matter, since by the time you turn in the old battery the cells have lost too much capacity to be useful in the Leaf.

TheSender said:
I read that Nissan would only "rent" replacement batteries for the Leaf. They would not allow you to buy it. The cost as I read was $100 month!!! You have to pay this forever.
This may be in violation of the act which demands that manufactures provide replacement parts.
In any case, it is complete greed by Nissan. It destroys the economical reasons for having an electric car. :evil:
I hope 3rd parties see the opportunity to supply batteries to Leaf owners. Maybe even junk yards will sell replacement cells.
Any other thoughts?

Yes, that is the program they pre-announced on June 20, 2013. One important bit of context: in 2012 a Nissan VP, Andy Palmer, promised that Nissan would provide a price for replacement batteries by the spring of 2013. On the very last day of spring the battery lease program was announced - basically they put out that press release to comply with an earlier promise.

The reaction in the LEAF community to the lease program was resoundingly negative. In response, Nissan has said exactly nothing - the original announcement said more details would be made available before the end of 2013 - none were. The original announcement said the program would be established in the first half of 2014 - they now have 8 days remaining. Last week the LEAF social media folks stated in a Facebook comment that they would have an announcement this month.

So, we'll see. Most of us suspect that the next announcement will be much more thought through than the last one and that the program may end up being substantially different, perhaps even not a battery lease at all. But as of now we know nothing about the details.

johnrhansen said:
I save 1650 per year in fuel driving my leaf. I dont see any other parts of the car going bad except for the battery. Personally, instead of putting 10 grand into a car worth less than twice that, I'd rather rent the battery. Provided they put a clause in there that if the car ever becomes broken beyond economical repair they would take the battery back and stop charging me rent. 100 bucks a month is a lot less than a 250 a month car payment!

would you say the same thing if you had bought the car, not leased it?

Back