J1772 adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borobrews

Savannah has a Tesla supercharger. Are there any adapters (Tesla to J1772) or will have to be the Tesla to quick charger? Does anyone at Nissan know? Locally, I am not too sure.

The superchargers are currently only for Tesla Model S cars, and their future offerings. Owners pre-pay Tesla to use the stations when they purchase their car...

Elon Musk has offered to license the superchargers to other OEMs for a fixed one-time fee per car, but no one has taken him up on it yet...And even if they did, it would take some special handshaking and software to make it work. The car in question would have to be able to take a high-powered DC input.

The first piece of data that is passed during handshaking is the car's VIN number, so Tesla is controlling access pretty tightly...

It might be possible to cook up a Tesla SuperCharger to CHAdeMO adapter, but not from a SuperCharger to a J1772. The SuperCharger is DC and J1772 is AC. Further confusing matters is the fact that Tesla uses the same physical connector for both AC and DC charging. It WOULD be possible (although nobody has, to my knowledge) to make an adapter from a Tesla HPWC (High Powered Wall Connector, their equivalent to an EVSE) to J1172 as they both use the same electrical standard, only the plug differs. However, if you were to try such an adapter on the SuperCharger the results could be disastrous. Hopefully there are sufficient safety precautions in place that would prevent such a thing from working, but *I* sure as hell wouldn't want to try it on my car.

Back