Real Home Power Backup

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaPooch

Ok, I've read about the leaf to home... And conceptually that's what I'd like, but 1. Not available here in US yet and 2. I'm sure it's more expensive and less fun than building my own ;)

So, I've seen the option where people have run a 1500watt inverter off the 12v accessory battery, but that still couldn't fully power my home, ideally I'd want something that could plug in to the service panel (w/ interlock of course) the way a backup genset does. From what I can tell that leaves 2 options 1. Direct access to the main battery pack and an inverter that can handle 400v dc (exists?) or 2. Replace the DC - DC with something that can handle more amperage and use a bigger inverter that supports 120/240 split phase.

You probably already looked through this thread

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there is a bunch of good stuff in there. The Leaf's DC-DC converter can supply about 1.7kw or 135 amps to the 12v system.

What I have done is use the leaf to power a xantrex sw 2000 watt sine wave inverter that in turn feeds an iota DLS-54-13 that charges our home 48v 24kwh solar battery bank. That battery in turn bank feeds a xantrex 6048, a large 120/240v inverter that feeds most of the loads in our house. So the car can push a constant 700w in to those batteries and any overload or surges are picked up by the 48v sla bank in the basement.

It is a round about way, but I already had all the parts. I have used our idling vw diesel (has a 140a alternator) in an extended outage as backup but have sense bought a honda 2000i which works great as well.

I'd rather use up my leaf batteries than go for a drive. Got other cars if I need to get anywhere.

I could use the Leaf at night (no noise) when the solar panels aren't making power and I wouldn't want to run a genset.

Honestly I think the most likely time I will use the Leaf for power is at remote locations where there isn't power readily available and we don't want to run a genset. If I needed a significant amount of power i wouldn't choose the leaf, but at an outside swim meet grilling out, running a few extension cords for random 120vac needs would be handy.

Consider a stationary system based on maybe eight L16 batteries and an inverter.
Then use the LEAF and 1000w inverter to extend the runtime by charging the stationary batteries.
Add some home solar and/or small generator to do the same and you will be in good shape.

If you're really in a place that has bad or unstable power.... or just a crap part of the country that has junk weather then just install a decent off/tie grid system.

Get a decent amount of 2v Surrette or Trojan batteries and a good TSW inverter and be done. Otherwise you'll be playing around with junk stuff all your life and replacing crap all the time.

Those type of batteries last 20+ years if not longer if taken care of properly. Mine are running at 9years and 0 capacity loss (these are not lithium!)

P.S. L16's are originally modified Golf cart batteries.. and while OK.. always go lower volts/higher amps..

Remember.. the more the battery weights... the better it is (more lead)!

BrockWI said:
You probably already looked through this thread

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there is a bunch of good stuff in there. The Leaf's DC-DC converter can supply about 1.7kw or 135 amps to the 12v system.

What I have done is use the leaf to power a xantrex sw 2000 watt sine wave inverter that in turn feeds an iota DLS-54-13 that charges our home 48v 24kwh solar battery bank. That battery in turn bank feeds a xantrex 6048, a large 120/240v inverter that feeds most of the loads in our house. So the car can push a constant 700w in to those batteries and any overload or surges are picked up by the 48v sla bank in the basement.

It is a round about way, but I already had all the parts. I have used our idling vw diesel (has a 140a alternator) in an extended outage as backup but have sense bought a honda 2000i which works great as well.

Can I take my 300watt inverter and hook it up to my Leaf's 12v battery just like I do with my ICE vehicle's 12v battery?
Will this kill the battery quickly or will the main battery pack keep it charged up?
Can you do this while the leaf is charging?

Yes, you can connect your 300 watt inverter to the Leaf 12v system just like your ICE car. The 12v lead acid battery won't last long under this load, and needs to be supported by the traction battery. This only happens when the car is ON and in ready-to-drive mode. That is the only time the DC-DC Inverter is active and using the traction battery to support the 12v system. While the car is plugged in and charging it cannot be put into ready-to-drive, so you would only want to use your 300 watt inverter while the car is not charging, ON, and ready to drive.

Incidentally, the DC-DC Inverter will supply 135 amps at 12v, so you could mathematically install and load a 1500 watt inverter max (as long as other systems are off).

RePo said:
Yes, you can connect your 300 watt inverter to the Leaf 12v system just like your ICE car. The 12v lead acid battery won't last long under this load, and needs to be supported by the traction battery. This only happens when the car is ON and in ready-to-drive mode. That is the only time the DC-DC Inverter is active and using the traction battery to support the 12v system. While the car is plugged in and charging it cannot be put into ready-to-drive, so you would only want to use your 300 watt inverter while the car is not charging, ON, and ready to drive.

Incidentally, the DC-DC Inverter will supply 135 amps at 12v, so you could mathematically install and load a 1500 watt inverter max (as long as other systems are off).

Ok, so it can't be done while the vehicle is charging.
Thanks for answering that.

So, to hook it up just like my ICE vehicle; positive of the inverter to the positive of the Leaf battery and then negative of the inverter to a metal part of the car.
Would that be correct? What part of the car on the 2013 Leaf would be a good place to attach the inverter's negative cable to?

Back