Leaf Spy App on 2013 SL capacity loss

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

premeir620

In only 6 months and 5,400 miles never charging over 80% my leaf fell to 90%SOH and 251 GIDs. Is this premature death of pack?

No. There are several threads here about this. Search for phrases like low AH capacity 2013 LEAF.

Briefly put, some of the 2013 and possibly 2014 LEAFs show low AH and %H readings and lowish Gids at full charge on LeafSpy ( and other meters). My 2013 SL is one of these cars. However, the cars show the ability to drive the expected driving range on a careful and full range test to turtle. These cars also show what appears to be a surprising several miles of range capability left at quite low state of charge, like below 10 Gids. To see this, you must run the car down to turtle, which isn't good for the pack. Just going down to 10 Gids or so isn't enough. It is as if some of the range is stored as a "reserve" at very low SOC.

The above is not a situation to be desired, because we don't want to routinely run our cars down below VLBW for several reasons. The fact remains, however, that our cars very likely have the full range capability of any other LEAF of the same age, driven and charged in the same way in the same locale.

We are at 4400 miles on our 2013 and at 255 gids.

Not sure all battery packs are created equal. Especially those in the first 6 months from TN.

Leafspy shows at max charge we have 19.8 usable. I am also not convinced only charging to 80% really helps. We have moved to charging to 100 each time, but fewer charge cycles. Maybe 2 or 3 a week, versus 4 a week to 80%

I have a 2013 SV which was experiencing extremely low battery degradation (SOH=100%, Gids=283 @ 100% SOC). Up until I had the PDM reprogramed and new version of LEAFSPY, I was continuing to have a SOH of 100 and the battery held 66.72Ahr. As soon as the temperature warmed up (went from 30F to 76F in a day) the BMS appears to have started protecting the battery. The SOH dropped to 95 and the battery held 62.520Ahr with 271 Gids. These anomalous readings began after the most recent version of LEAFSPY was installed. However, the values are increasing once again now that the temperatures have dropped below freezing.

Back