CAN BUS challenge - Battery/charger Leaf-ectomy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonB

Hey folks - Buying salvaged Leaf battery packs for homebrew projects has been discussed here and there, but I'm not aware of anyone getting it to done.

Despite this, and in the grand tradition of "ready, shoot, AIM!" that is too often my m.o., I went ahead and bought a salvage 2012 Leaf for my project - a conversion of a 1968 Morris Minor woody: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/planning-1968-morris-minor-traveller-woody-94145.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The goal is to reuse the charger as well as the batteries, and get quickcharge out of it. But after all the hours of dismantling and then plugging back in outside the car, there appear to be too many dependencies keeping the system from thinking all is well and allowing the pack to charge.

Delving into CAN BUS is out of my depth. Before I give up and just use the cells alone, I figured I'd try the community. There are many Leaf people out there, and most are far more clever people than I. So I submit the challenge:

Get the 2012 Leaf charger and pack working together outside the car. REWARD! it's worth at least as much to me as, say, the cost of an off-the-shelf charger I'll have to buy in the alternative.

Any takers?

Jason

Back