How much savings does off-peak hours charging really bring?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AthLeaf

In trying to decide if I should buy an S or SV, I'm taking in to consideration the smartwings feature on the SV that allows me to set the charge time to off-peak rates. I've listed the GaPower info below, but I can't begin to figure out the math. Assuming I need a 50% charge every Mon-Thurs night, and 100% on the weekends, how much money will I save by delaying charge times off-peak/super off-peak windows?

EDIT: I dont know if this info matters, but will add that I would be charging on a 240v line and the S would have the 6.6 upgrade.

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like doing so math for me!
-----

On-Peak kWh..................................................................................................................20.3217¢ per kWh
Off-Peak kWh...................................................................................................................6.2064¢ per kWh
Super Off-Peak kWh........................................................................................................1.3267¢ per kWh

ON-PEAK:
The On-Peak period is defined as the hours starting at 2:00 p.m. and ending at 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the calendar months of June through September (Summer Months). The above hours on days in which the following holidays are observed shall be considered Off-Peak: Independence Day and Labor Day.
OFF-PEAK:
The Off-Peak period is defined as the hours between 7:00 a.m. and ending at 11:00 p.m. for weekends, holidays, and the calendar months of October through May. The Off-Peak period for the calendar months of June through September (Summer Months) is defined as the hours between 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. and the hours between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
SUPER OFF-PEAK:
The Super Off-Peak period is defined as the hours between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Monday through Sunday for all calendar months.

AthLeaf said:
Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like doing so math for me!
On-Peak kWh..................................................................................................................20.3217¢ per kWh
Off-Peak kWh...................................................................................................................6.2064¢ per kWh
Super Off-Peak kWh........................................................................................................1.3267¢ per kWh

Obviously, every situation is different, but based on my average usage of ~200 kWhr/month, you can move decimal places and see that your savings would be on the order of $35-$40 for super off-peak vs. peak. Between the 6 kW charger and beginning/ending timer settings, you should be able to realize savings close to that on a monthly basis. :D

Lets start with an approx 50% charge or 10kw, because its easy for math reasons :)

Assuming you have a 6.6 kw charger you could easily charge in any of the utility rates exclusively, actually even with a 3.3 charger you would be able to as well in any rate. Then assuming 6 days a week of charging over a month

If you charge on peak $2.03 a day / $48.72 month
regular rate, guessing $.12, $1.20 a day / $28.80 month
off peak $.62 a day / $14.88 month
super off $.13 a day / $3.12 month

You could just set the S charge time for 7:00 am and you would be good to go each day, it wouldn't take more than 8 hours even at 3.3 charge rate.

For all-around driving conditions you can use 4 mi/kwh, so assuming you drive 40 miles per day, that is 10 kwhrs. Per week is 200 miles plus other weekend driving bringing you to 300 miles per week, or 15,000 miles per year.

15,000 miles / 4 miles/kwh = 3,750 kwhrs per year.

3,750 X 1.3267¢ per kWh = $49.75 per year for "fuel" 11pm to 7am Super Off-Peak

3,750 X 6.2064¢ per kWh = $232.74 per year for "fuel" 7am to 2pm, 7pm to 11pm Off-Peak

3,750 X 20.3217¢ per kWh = $762.06 per year for "fuel" 2pm to 7pm On-Peak

Compare that to gas at $4.00 per gallon and 25 mpg = 600 gallons x $4 = $2,400 per year

Now, at 20 mpg = 750 gallons x 4 = $3,000 per year

I would go with Quick-Charge option and ability to time charging to start at 11pm every night. If you need only 50% every day, charge to 80% so you get home with 30% remaining. Even though the savings in not that much (as long as you avoid On-Peak as much as practical), better for the grid to use Super Off-Peak as much as possible.

I envy you being able to save almost $3,000 per year on fuel cost. I consider myself fortunate to only have to pay $0.11 /kwh, but you can spend almost one tenth of that.

BrockWI said:
...You could just set the S charge time for 7:00 am and you would be good to go each day, it wouldn't take more than 8 hours even at 3.3 charge rate.
This. You would be able to take full advantage of that extraordinarily low Super Off Peak rate with either an S or SV, with or without the charge package.

With either model or charge package, the easiest way to do it is to set an end-time for 7 AM. Charging will be done by then and all of it will be at the cheap rate.

dgpcolorado said:
You would be able to take full advantage of that extraordinarily low Super Off Peak rate with either an S or SV, with or without the charge package.

With either model or charge package, the easiest way to do it is to set an end-time for 7 AM. Charging will be done by then and all of it will be at the cheap rate.

Its my understanding that the S model doesn't allow the user to set a start time for charging, only an end time. Is that incorrect? If both allow it, then its a moot issue. I thought the start time could only be configured via the smartphone app.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If you set just an end timer for 7 am, the car will decide when the start time is, but no matter which model you get, that start time will be after 11 pm.

So if I arrive home from work at 6pm and plug in the EVSE, the car will automatically wait until 11pm before it starts charging?

AthLeaf said:
So if I arrive home from work at 6pm and plug in the EVSE, the car will automatically wait until 11pm before it starts charging?
Not exactly. The car will calculate how much time it needs to be fully charged by 7 AM (or whatever time you set) and then it will start at a time so it will be done by then (it usually finishes a bit early). It might start at 2 AM or 3:45 AM or any other time, depending on how much charge the car needs.

End-time is the best way to hit the super-off-peak, given that the window of time is plenty long. The car will figure out when to start charging for itself. Simple to use.

The S model timer gives only one timer setting for charging (and only one for preheating/cooling), so no variation for days of the week and the like unless you change the timer, which is a nuisance.

The SV/SL has two timers, start time/end time or end time only, days of the week settings, and allows remote control of both via Carwings. So, the SV/SL is a bit more flexible but the S model will work fine to get the lowest cost charging, when doing so at 240 Volts.

ATHleaf this is exactly what I do. I don't have super off peak, but our off peak rate, 6 cents is from 9p to 8a. We typically leave at 7:30a so I set the timer in our S to 7:30. We do have the 6.6 charger and it never says it will take longer than 2.5 hours. So the earliest it should start is 5am for us. I would guess with a 3.3 charger it wouldn't be more than 5 hours, even say it took 6 hours. If thats the case and you have the end time set for 7a, it would start at 1a to be done by 7a. The car is conservative on charge times, I have never seen our car charging at 7a, sometimes at 6:30a it will still be charging, but it always get done early.

Also, the car will tell you how long it thinks it will take to charge. It's one of the readouts you can select on the lower dash display.

It will tell you the amount of time needed to charge the car at 120 volts, 240 volts/16 amps, and if you have one of the cars with the 6.6 kW (6.0 actual) on board charging units, 240 volts at 30 amps.

The Leaf's own charging estimates are notoriously pessimistic, so if you set the end timer to 7 AM, usually it will be done charging well before that. Assuming you leave for work at 7 AM, consider setting the End timer to 6:30 AM and then setting the climate control timer (also an End only timer) for 7 AM. It's especially great for winter as you can start your commute in a pre-warmed car.

Back