Quick charging questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knarlyd

Hopefully I'm not asking questions that have already been discussed but I couldn't find any.
FYI, I have a 2013 SL

1)
Other than the how fast it is, I've read in an older article online that a quick charge for a Leaf may not deliver as much as a level 2 charge (after the charge has completed)?

I don't know if it's okay to post links so I won't post it (article was from 2012)

2) I think there's a (safety feature enabled by default?) allowing for a 100% charge if I'm not mistaken that allows the battery to be charged beyond the 85% or more?

3)Is the quick charge just as "safe" than the other options for charging?
IE, Will it offer any additional negative wear and tear on the batteries?

I haven't viewed the service manual on the 2013 MY (model year), however on the 2011 MY if you start a DCQC session below 50% SOC (state of charge), the Leaf will discontinue charging once it reaches 80% SOC. If the session starts above 50% SOC, the Leaf will allow it to keep charging until it reaches 100% SOC.

With that said, the Leaf takes into account battery temperature when deciding when to stop charging and the DCQC may have its own time limit (some have a 30, 45, or 60 minute limit).

1. Well, after the charge has completed... it's completed. So, yes, no current is less than you'll get with anything else. :D Do you mean the charge rate after 80% or so? I think it starts tapering down almost as soon as you plug it in, but only get's really slow about about 90%. Once you get above there, you're in level 2 territory, for sure.

2. My 2013 Leaf doesn't have any quick charge limits. And it ignores timers (though probably not the 80% setting). There are a couple legs where I like to have about 85%, just for some breathing room, and I have no problem hitting that before I leave, no matter what my SOC when I show up. I can skip one leg if I charge to almost 100%, but that takes forever. It's actually faster to just go to 80% and stop for a couple minutes at the next QC.

3. The conventional wisdom right now is that quick charging is really not bad at all in and of itself. Temperature is the really battery killer, so if you do a bunch of quick charges in the summer and cook your battery, that's probably not good.

Thank you, very helpful!
The Nissan dealer is about 2 miles from my house and they have two Level 2 as well as 1 QC.
Funny thing is for about 2 months I would go there an hour before work to occasionally to get a "free" charge from their level2 chargers. Then one day I went in the afternoon. Both L2's were in use so I started to turn car to leave and the guy said "I'm done with the QC if you want to use that. LOL

pkulak said:
1. Well, after the charge has completed... it's completed. So, yes, no current is less than you'll get with anything else. :D Do you mean the charge rate after 80% or so? I think it starts tapering down almost as soon as you plug it in, but only get's really slow about about 90%. Once you get above there, you're in level 2 territory, for sure.

2. My 2013 Leaf doesn't have any quick charge limits. And it ignores timers (though probably not the 80% setting). There are a couple legs where I like to have about 85%, just for some breathing room, and I have no problem hitting that before I leave, no matter what my SOC when I show up. I can skip one leg if I charge to almost 100%, but that takes forever. It's actually faster to just go to 80% and stop for a couple minutes at the next QC.

3. The conventional wisdom right now is that quick charging is really not bad at all in and of itself. Temperature is the really battery killer, so if you do a bunch of quick charges in the summer and cook your battery, that's probably not good.

DarkStar said:
I haven't viewed the service manual on the 2013 MY (model year), however on the 2011 MY if you start a DCQC session below 50% SOC (state of charge), the Leaf will discontinue charging once it reaches 80% SOC. If the session starts above 50% SOC, the Leaf will allow it to keep charging until it reaches 100% SOC.

I just want to say that I found this thread in a search and it answered a question I had. I noticed that on my 2011 LEAF a quick charge would stop at 9 bars and couldn't be restarted unless I unplugged and replugged the quick charger. This is not an issue on my 2012 LEAF, so it took about 3 repeat occurrences before I figured it out. DarkStar's answer explains it. Add this to the list of subtle changes between 2011 and 2012. I hadn't noticed until now because quick chargers are a new-ish thing in Colorado.

Back