Drive battery testing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seascribe

Can anyone verify whether the dealer's yearly testing of the drive battery is destructive or non-destructive in nature? I.E. can the testing procedure actually damage the battery as did the old procedures for testing lead/acid batteries of the distant past?

Everything is destructive to the battery including sitting doing nothing so yes,
just not by much.

Yes, that's almost certainly the case may635703, but what I would like to know is is the battery tested by loading, and as a consequence heating the battery, or is it tested in some other (non-destructive) way?

All they do is read data from the car.

seascribe said:
Yes, that's almost certainly the case may635703, but what I would like to know is is the battery tested by loading, and as a consequence heating the battery, or is it tested in some other (non-destructive) way?

Do they not do electro-impedance spectrometry? So they just take data off the car's BMS?

donald said:
Do they not do electro-impedance spectrometry? So they just take data off the car's BMS?

Yes, and the skilled Nissan Techs also x-ray the pack to check for stress fractures. After that they put it in zero gravity, to see if there are any electrons leaking anywhere. They found a pack of twizzlers in mine that was dropped in likely during assembly and it was causing corrosion on a terminal. Good catch on their part and a few new GIDs on mine.

EVDRIVER said:
Yes, and the skilled Nissan Techs also x-ray the pack to check for stress fractures. After that they put it in zero gravity, to see if there are any electrons leaking anywhere. They found a pack of twizzlers in mine that was dropped in likely during assembly and it was causing corrosion on a terminal. Good catch on their part and a few new GIDs on mine.
Is it still April 1st?

seascribe said:
Can anyone verify whether the dealer's yearly testing of the drive battery is destructive or non-destructive in nature? I.E. can the testing procedure actually damage the battery as did the old procedures for testing lead/acid batteries of the distant past?

a destructive test would imply useful and valuable information gathering process. I can assure you, the test is far from that

EVDRIVER said:
donald said:
Seriously, EIS is pretty common these days. The more sophisticated 12V lead acid testers use it:

http://www.adler-instrumentos.es/imagenes_web/productos/Especificaciones%20Spectro%20CA-12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeremyW said:
So, what does that say about the battery!? :?

Back