How to remove rear brake light?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monterathbun

I am trying to remove the brake light to fix a door ding from inside the panel. The owners manual says there are three 10mm screws to release the lense. However, when I remove those three screws, it's still tight? Any ideas? I tried both sides, same thing.

Reply: I was able to contact a Leaf technician and found there are three posts attached to the back of the tail light that insert into the fender. So once you remove the three bolts, you have to gently pry and then pull the whole tail light off the car releasing the post in the grommets. My dent repair guy did that to get access to the inside of the fender. It worked find. Only the cheap 10 mm headed bolts have stripped threads on one. So now I have to purchase a bolt.

Thanks everyone. The door ding is fixed.

I haven't ever removed the Leaf's brake light assembly yet, but on many other cars I have worked on, the light assembly is secured by screws, but it is also sometimes "located" with small plastic finger clips through holes in the body that temporarily hold the component in the right place when it is placed on the car during assembly, before the screws are added to secure it. Sometimes, there may be a soft gasket holding it on, or a caulking strip of "dum-dum" might have been added to seal the edges. I would try rocking it a bit to see if there is a bit of "sealing" grip on it to be overcome still, and/or gently pry under the assembly to see if it lifts away from the body enough to pop any locating clips, which will release with some small upward pressure.

HTH,
TT
[not a pro mechanic, but I can play one on the internet... ;) ]

The three screws should be it. Massive HOWEVER - the shop manual calls for removal of the entire rear spoiler assembly first, but doesn't edify as to why (the only thing I can think of is for easy access to the wiring harness).

Back