Portable Jump Starter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driving very slow, that amount of energy will get you about 0.3 miles, or am I looking at this incorrectly??? In addition, how much of the 44Wh could actually be transferred into the Leaf battery pack? It would be easier to just get someone to tow you down the road a short distance and let Regen recharge the pack.

I think he's discussing this for just 12v battery failure not running out on the traction pack. I would guess its fine. Nice compact size but I imagine there's cheaper stuff out there.

That thing looks sweet. Besides all the uses they tout, it would make a nice power supply for my telescope. I currently use one of the standard jump boxes, but it's clunky and heavy, and doesn't hold a charge. This thing looks like it could hang on the stabilizing hook on the tripod.

At about 4 AH, this device is the most expensive way to get as little power available as possible. Use a 12V, 8-12AH UPS battery, with a set of battery maintainer alligator clips (they are sold as accessories for Battery tender Jr. and Diehard battery maintainers). Attach female spade connectors to the clips, to attach to the battery. It will weigh roughly the same as that kit if you use an 8AH battery, will take up less space, and will cost 1/4 to 1/3 as much.

Interesting idea - I looked around and you can get a lead-acid backup battery for about $15. Looking around some more for li-ion backup batteries (lighter) I found this 12v 6.8 Ah for $18 on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Designe...228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8f32634).

Thinking further about batteries, I wonder if you can strap four of these together (27.2 Ah total), wire them in parallel, and use it to replace the Leaf's 12v AGM battery? I looked at li-ion 12v replacement starter batteries and they are very expensive, mainly because they are designed to deliver a high power burst to energize a starter, which is NOT needed for the Leaf. Basically the Leaf is like a laptop - I don't know what the energy draw is on start-up, but it is nowhere near what's needed for a starter. The weight saving would be considerable as well.

I am not a EE, so this is a question for someone more learned than I.

joerivct said:
Interesting idea - I looked around and you can get a lead-acid backup battery for about $15. Looking around some more for li-ion backup batteries (lighter) I found this 12v 6.8 Ah for $18 on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Designe...228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8f32634).

Thinking further about batteries, I wonder if you can strap four of these together (27.2 Ah total), wire them in parallel, and use it to replace the Leaf's 12v AGM battery? I looked at li-ion 12v replacement starter batteries and they are very expensive, mainly because they are designed to deliver a high power burst to energize a starter, which is NOT needed for the Leaf. Basically the Leaf is like a laptop - I don't know what the energy draw is on start-up, but it is nowhere near what's needed for a starter. The weight saving would be considerable as well.

I am not a EE, so this is a question for someone more learned than I.

I am pretty sure it would start the Leaf, problem is charging. LiIon recargable batteries are very sensitive to charging conditions. Don't know if the Leaf electronics could recharge it safely. I believe there is a thread somewhere where somebody wired 8 size D alkaline cells in series for 12v and used it to successfully start a Leaf.

All you need is a very small battery to jump start the LEAF. Charging can be taken over by the onboard 12V DC/DC converter once the car is started.

While you can in theory replace the 12v battery with a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery (and a forum member here has done that), the reason why Nissan (and everyone else) goes with lead acid for the aux battery is that it doesn't have to have balancers/BMS, worry about draining completely, or worry about overcharging. Lead acid likes to stay at 100% and can take mild overcharging and occasional deep discharges just fine. You want no-nonsense when it comes to the backup/aux battery. Even the model S has a small 12v AGM type lead acid.

If only they would have the proper charging profile, the battery would last longer than 2 and a half years.

Extremely small. You are essentially just booting up a small computer...

I think you are also getting the draw of whatever accessories are on at the time, so probably not as small as you think. Still, we know a 7AH UPS battery will work.

I would be surprised if everything that was on would boot up in one shot - normally you would have a staggered start sequence, so the computer would boot up first, then some pre-determined priority sequence would kick in. I'm guessing but I doubt that the start-up draw would be more than 2 amps, but I'd rather not guess so some hard data would be nice.

Most of the accessories do not come on until the car is fully booted.

LeftieBiker said:
Extremely small. You are essentially just booting up a small computer...
I think you are also getting the draw of whatever accessories are on at the time, so probably not as small as you think. Still, we know a 7AH UPS battery will work.

I picked this up which should be more than sufficient for a Leaf jump. It provides 200-400 cca.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D42AFS8/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After looking around and thinking about it, I decided to spend the money for this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-Multi-Function-Personal/dp/B00FDYYK4A/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are clearly cheaper ways to go, but the attachments and versatility swayed me. In addition, it fits perfectly on the center console:

image.jpg

I took all the attachments out of the case that comes with it (too bulky) and they fit nicely in a quart size baggy, which I stow in the glove box. IMHO cheap insurance against a flat battery and plenty of power for various battery powered devices.

Back