Possible solution to battery loss?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/24/gbatteries-batterybox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These people claim a different BMS will dramatically reduce battery loss. I'm not sure I buy it, but if it works out for the small i-device market, it could be a big thing for EVs and for solar to battery applications.

Interesting. Easy to make a claim of longer life, but I didn't see much in the way of test results or evidence to prove it.

I have always wondered when someone would invent a product like this. My laptop battery sits at 100% all the time and while I am using it, the charge light comes on about every 3 seconds to make sure it stays topped-off. A BMS that at least let it cycle would be an improvement.

I don't drive my Leaf any different than I do a gas car, but one I thing I don't do is charge to 100% unless I need to, and I don't let it sit at 100% longer than necessary.

I don't buy it... I can say that if you have BAD BMS, then sure you'll lose battery life because some cells will be damaged. And the weakest cell defines the whole pack. However, when looking at degraded Nissan battery packs, the cells are always balanced. So I don't think that any particular cell is the problem, hence better BMS likely would make no difference.

Back