Nssan Trim S - scheduled charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sridharDNA

My dealer was pretty bad in explaining the differences between trim S(basic model) and other higher ones except stating that there is a navigation, sport and leather accessories. (Nissan Sunnyvale - dealer)

here is my problem:
I just realized that I cannot set the timer to start from midnight end at 7 am when my PG&E rates are low.
I can only set the timer to STOP after I start charging. Seems like the advanced features (that should be basic for all electrics) are available only beyond trim S.
Any ideas/hack that I can do now. Can I set the timer on the wall. Looks like if charging doesn't start in 15 min after connecting, It won't charge.

Any feedback appreciated.

Unfortunately you can only set an END timer on the Leaf S. The way it works is it will automatically start charging based on how long the car thinks it will need to charge. So if you set the timer to end at 7 AM, and the car thinks it needs 3 hours to charge, it will start charging at 4 AM.

Short of buying an EVSE with a start timer/delay timer, or wiring in your own, there is no workaround for this.

Are you using a 240 volt charging station? If so 7 hours should be more than enough to fully charge your Leaf especially if you bought the Charge package, which allows you to charge at up to 6.6 kW (6.0 actual) if you are connected to an EVSE of at least 27.5 amps. If you didn't buy the optional Charge package, and/or your EVSE only puts out 16 amps, it could take 8 hours but only if the battery is fully depleted (you've gone below Very Low Battery Warning). Also, if you have a 2013 and not a 2014, there is a Long Life a Mode option that limits charging to 80%, which will shorten your charging time, but make sure your commute is short enough to only need 80% or less of battery charge.

RonDawg
Thanks for the response.
Setting End time - if functions as you mentioned will suffice for me.

I'm considering getting a 240v charging unit. Just been 4 days since I leased. Looking at options to switch to EV rates with PG&E.
Not sure if I should add a panel.

2014 Leaf S owner - cayenne red.

sridharDNA said:
RonDawg
Thanks for the response.
Setting End time - if functions as you mentioned will suffice for me.

I'm considering getting a 240v charging unit. Just been 4 days since I leased. Looking at options to switch to EV rates with PG&E.
Not sure if I should add a panel.

2014 Leaf S owner - cayenne red.
You're better off moving to Sunnyvale, than being a rate victim on any PGE plan.

Back