Charge timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

So I have always set me timer to 30 minutes before I leave in the morning, just to be safe. But recently, I have noticed that the timed charger is kicking in, what I would guess to be really early. In once instance it started almost 24 hours after I set the timer (I am on a level 1, however, I still had half a battery)

So last night, I decided to do a little testing. I set the charge timer to 30 minutes after I usually leave, and I still came out to full bars. I'm going to keep on tweaking the time, but is this a known issue with the timer on the S?

Start time is very conservative on all LEAF models. Charging will finish at least an hour early on L1 and at least 30 minutes early on L2. The longer the actual time the more conservative it is.
That is my experience anyway.

Well, guess I am just going to try and keep tweaking the time until I get something that doesn't keep me sitting at 100% for so long.

Thanks

well, I'm up to setting my timer two and half hours after I leave, and I'm still coming out to 100% charged, even with the preheating.

Thinking of just how much unnecessary time my car spent @ 100%.

With the preheat the charging gets even more conservative due to the additional energy needed.
If it is that cold sitting at 100% for a few hours should be of little concern.

I'm calling this my "practice" car (its a lease) so I'm not really worried, its just good to know these little quirks.

Heck, I have had the car for 9 months, and I just broke 5500 miles, so its not like I need it at peak efficiency :)

Ok, So I am at 3 hours past my departure time. And that with preheat on a day where Milwaukee is expected to at least match a 126 year old record for the lowest high (7 degrees)

Limey said:
I'm calling this my "practice" car (its a lease) so I'm not really worried, its just good to know these little quirks.

Heck, I have had the car for 9 months, and I just broke 5500 miles, so its not like I need it at peak efficiency :)

How much distance do you drive during the day? Do you really need 100%, or could you just set it to stop at 80%?

Graffi said:
How much distance do you drive during the day? Do you really need 100%, or could you just set it to stop at 80%?

I could go to 80%, but its still the same problem, its charging way to early and having to hold that charge for longer.

I'm guessing that maybe it is charging to the auto heat time (since that is still @ 7).

This morning I was only @98%. Don't know yet if they is from heating (sometimes it does that) or if I am finally getting to where the real charge time range is.

Limey said:
Graffi said:

I could go to 80%, but its still the same problem, its charging way to early and having to hold that charge for longer.

I'm guessing that maybe it is charging to the auto heat time (since that is still @ 7).

This morning I was only @98%. Don't know yet if they is from heating (sometimes it does that) or if I am finally getting to where the real charge time range is.

Holding 80% is not a problem for daily use. Only if parked for days or weeks better to be at 50%.

Pre-heat is using more kwhr than your 120v EVSE is supplying, so the Main Batter Pack is supplying some of the heating energy, therefore the drop from 100% to 98%. In my case, my 240v EVSE supplies more kwhr than needed, so my 80% charge increases to 85% by the time set for leaving.

Graffi said:
Holding 80% is not a problem for daily use. Only if parked for days or weeks better to be at 50%.

Pre-heat is using more kwhr than your 120v EVSE is supplying, so the Main Batter Pack is supplying some of the heating energy, therefore the drop from 100% to 98%. In my case, my 240v EVSE supplies more kwhr than needed, so my 80% charge increases to 85% by the time set for leaving.

The heater is why I still wonder if the timer is working properly. Sometimes it goes down to 98%, but most of the time it at 100% by the time I get in the car. Even on really cold days. So I don't know if I have finally found where I should really time my charger to (if I need more than 80%) or if its just that the heater needed a little more today)

Up to 4.5 hours after my actual leave time. I really do think the climate control timer is being used by the car when the leave time is greater.

last night I just let it charge up to 100 percent as soon as I parked it. Better to sit at 100 percent for 12 hours than for it to sit at 20 for the same time. Then if I need it, there's a charge on it.

ITs not that I want to charge as last minute as possible, I just don't want it sitting at 100% charged for so long needlessly.

So I think I have it figured out.

The car seems to be very inaccurate at guessing how long it will take to charge with the more charging it has to do.

So when I was using lots of battery, it is always starting up early to make sure it could charge it all. However, with the warmer weather (relatively speaking) I'm coming home with more battery and it doesn't seem to overcompensate as much, so now I come out to 95% charged.

Back