How long to lose your first bar?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

In general, how many miles, months, charge time did it take for people to lose their first bar?

leafmealone said:
Funny you should ask... lost mine today. 30 months - 19,800 miles

Well, it sucks you lost a bar, but that's not bad at all! My lease could be well over before a bar is gone.

You could always check the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_one_battery_capacity_bar_.2815.25.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

29 months; 30,455 miles for me.

Limey said:
Well, it sucks you lost a bar, but that's not bad at all! My lease could be well over before a bar is gone.

Depends on where you live. Anywhere with a climate that is any different to the PNW and you'll be down a bar within the same time frame.

It's an interaction of heat, calendar time, charging cycles, and mileage. With heat trumping all.

mwalsh said:
Limey said:

Depends on where you live. Anywhere with a climate that is any different to the PNW and you'll be down a bar within the same time frame.

It's an interaction of heat, calendar time, charging cycles, and mileage. With heat trumping all.

Yeah, i have noticed that Head seemed to be the big factor. Living in Wisconsin really removes that problem for me (where winter can last half the year, or at least feel that way!).

I am at 34 months, 24K miles, still haven't lost any bars yet.

QC'ed many times, but rarely ever charge above 80%.

Limey said:
In general, how many miles, months, charge time did it take for people to lose their first bar?

I saw my worst case ever yesterday: only 8000 miles and missing a bar! :eek: He said he has only had his LEAF for 8 months, and it was a 2012, so besides the south Florida heat I also suspect that it may have been kept at a constant 100% SOC by the dealer. With a lot of babying, only one DCQC, and mostly 80% charges, my LEAF lost a bar at ~19,000 miles. I checked his battery with my LEAF Battery App, and it only tested at 66.6% Health, vs my 80%. What's with that?? :? Does that indicate a much higher internal resistance, thus he can expect faster degradation?

Haven't lost it yet and with the winter cold here will probably be good until May. But I'm down about 10% capacity which is normal for here. Almost 20k miles and 2 KS summers. Car spent maybe a week at dealer getting detailed for delivery so no dealer battery baking.

keydiver said:
Limey said:

I saw my worst case ever yesterday: only 8000 miles and missing a bar! :eek: He said he has only had his LEAF for 8 months, and it was a 2012, so besides the south Florida heat I also suspect that it may have been kept at a constant 100% SOC by the dealer. With a lot of babying, only one DCQC, and mostly 80% charges, my LEAF lost a bar at ~19,000 miles. I checked his battery with my LEAF Battery App, and it only tested at 66.6%, vs my 80%. What's with that?? :?

Well, its cold out now, so I need the 100% charge, but maybe when it warms up I will start doing the 80%. Cause in the summer time, without having to take the kids to school, I can go easily 5-6 days between charges.

keydiver said:
I saw my worst case ever yesterday: only 8000 miles and missing a bar! :eek: He said he has only had his LEAF for 8 months, and it was a 2012, so besides the south Florida heat I also suspect that it may have been kept at a constant 100% SOC by the dealer. With a lot of babying, only one DCQC, and mostly 80% charges, my LEAF lost a bar at ~19,000 miles. I checked his battery with my LEAF Battery App, and it only tested at 66.6% Health, vs my 80%. What's with that?? :? Does that indicate a much higher internal resistance, thus he can expect faster degradation?
Do you have the P3227 update? I suspect that he does. But still, he must let his car sit around at 100% a lot in the Florida heat.

drees said:
Do you have the P3227 update? I suspect that he does. But still, he must let his car sit around at 100% a lot in the Florida heat.

That was my first thought. I have NOT had the P3227 update, but he has. The update affects the Hx or "Health" data?

Last week my leaf temporarily lost the first bar (26 months; 18,300 miles) but it came back the next day. I'm assuming I'm on the edge. The lost bar occurred right after charging at a public Blink charger - I have rarely used these stations because they are so unreliable. I have almost exclusively charged my car using L1. I have to say losing that bar sort of ruined my day. Has anyone else lost a bar then have it return??

Back