Charge timer with 80% limit and no time of use billing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

When I first got my Leaf I set up an 80% timer to end in the early morning, thinking that if it's good to keep the battery at 100% for as little time as possible, keeping it at 80% for as little time must be good too. But, I just got a 30-amp EVSE installed and it's kinda nice to just fill it up whenever I feel like it (to 80%) and not worry about timers. With an 80% limit, is there any reason to bother with charge timers, if you don't have TOU billing?

In that scenario the only reason would be to keep it at a low charge state. So like, I leave for work at 8, let it be low charge overnight but be done at 8am so I can then drive away, minimizing the amount of charge the batteries hold.

I compromise on this by setting my 80% timer to run from 1AM to 5PM. That way on normal commute days, the car comes home empty, and waits until early morning to charge. On weekends, if I come home in the middle of the day, it charges back up, so I can drive more.

davewill said:
I compromise on this by setting my 80% timer to run from 1AM to 5PM. That way on normal commute days, the car comes home empty, and waits until early morning to charge. On weekends, if I come home in the middle of the day, it charges back up, so I can drive more.

Wow, that is a fantastic idea!

New owner here w/ 2013 SL.

I don't have TOU billing, but been using the charge timer set to END only at 7am and 80% charge for Monday to Thursday only. Then on Friday to Sunday I will get 100% charge for extra weekend usage...so I thought.

I would have expected thursday afternoon and evening it would start charging thinking there should be no restriction. Indeed the timer setting says the next timer is Monday morning 7am. But Thursday evening the timer is waiting to charge.

Does this mean it won't charge until its predicted start time early monday morning? I was hoping it would just start charing to 100% any other time..

Please help me understand this better

vwDavid said:
New owner here w/ 2013 SL.

I don't have TOU billing, but been using the charge timer set to END only at 7am and 80% charge for Monday to Thursday only. Then on Friday to Sunday I will get 100% charge for extra weekend usage...so I thought.

I would have expected thursday afternoon and evening it would start charging thinking there should be no restriction. Indeed the timer setting says the next timer is Monday morning 7am. But Thursday evening the timer is waiting to charge.

Does this mean it won't charge until its predicted start time early monday morning? I was hoping it would just start charing to 100% any other time..

Please help me understand this better
Yes, if a timer is active, you will need to override the timer for it to charge at any other time. You'll need to set a second timer with 100% charge Friday-Sunday for that to work.

There was another thread here somewhere where someone was attempting the same thing.

Try this and see if it works. You may need to adjust the start and stop times to match your schedule and TOU billing times.

Set Sunday through Thursday for 80% to start at 11pm and end at 7am.
Set Friday and Saturday for 100% to start at 11pm and end at 10:50pm.

That should give you night time charging during the week and all day charging Saturday and Sunday.

Back