J1772 combo plug (aka CCS aka Frankenplug) charger counts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

I originally thought (incorrectly?) that http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was supposed to track all DC fast chargers, not just CHAdeMO.

I guess we can track Frankenplug charger counts here.

From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=260980#p260980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/444280305629636/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are links to http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-group-america-eaton-unveil-130000429.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://www.facebook.com/groups/239198747743/permalink/10151376452982744/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re: Frankenplug chargers.

So, I guess there are at least 2 in the US now.

I just learned of one more from http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14207-Tesla-CHAdeMo-Update?p=283203&viewfull=1#post283203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, so that makes 3 in the US.

Frankenplug Cast Members:

First, a comment: During a Tesla shareholder's call, when the SAE standard was pointed out to Elon Musk, he said "Yes, the SAE have a standard. But it sucks." Which is why TM went its own way.

1. Audi - June 3, 2012 - cancels EV plans http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076657_audi-cans-electric-a2-city-car-a1-e-tron-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No Frankenplug.

2. BMW - i3, Fall 2013/Early 2014 - these guys are the only ones of any of the Frankenplug consortium to have a serious EV program, that goes beyond just meeting California Air Resources Board ZEV standards.

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [no specific mention of Frankenplug, but it is widely known that is their intention. Also, it doesn't mention if Frankenplug is standard or optional, but the range extender is optional.]

"The battery can be fully recharged in six hours at a standard power socket [230 volts in Europe, not our 120v]. If a high-speed charger is used an 80 per cent charge can be achieved in just one hour..... The BMW i3 Concept therefore offers an optional range extender, the REx, which allows the driving range to be increased. REx, a small, very smooth-running and quiet petrol engine, drives a generator"

Edit: report of issues from Automobile Magazine were just BS, according to inside sources at BMW"

April 21, 2013 update:

BMW was my only hope for a Frankenplug savior in the USA. Well, it looks like I was right. Frankenplug is DEAD ON ARRIVAL if nobody will pick up the torch and run with it. It looks like the BMW i3 might have been a strict CARB-ZEV compliance car after all, which means that they aren't going to spend Frankenbucks on Frankenplugs:

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) board member Steve Jurvetson spoke with FOX Business Network’s (FBN) Melissa Francis about the future of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA). Jurvetson said, On whether Tesla investor’s should be worried about the new BMW electric car that is coming out next year:

“Well, both Elon and I burst into laughter with the questions just because Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (FRA:BMW) itself said – and I’ve never heard any product release say this a year before its release – we’re not trying to make the best electric car; we’re building this vehicle because we have to for regulatory reasons. They’re basically they’re saying don’t judge us by this car and whether it’s any good or not a year before it’s released. It’s totally a different kind of product. It doesn’t have very good range; and they’re putting in a gasoline lawnmower engine in there as a backup. It’s kind of an odd duck.”

Tags: BMW, Electric car, FBN, Fox Business, hybrid car, Steve Jurvetson, Tesla

This entry was posted on August 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm and is filed under Business.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/08/tesla-motors-board-member-laughs-at-bmw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Chrysler / Fiat - they don't even want to take "free" government money to develop EVs, and gave it back. Nada from them. The Fiat 500e compliance car has no mention of quick charging or combo plug (nor J1772), only 240 and 120 volt charge times. No Frankenplug.

4. Daimler - working with Tesla, which means unlikely their first EV efforts will have anything more than what the Toyota Rav4 EV has.... no DC fact charger, hence no Frankenplug.

All current and future electric vehicles from Daimler:

Smart Fortwo electric drive, Mercedes-Benz A-Class E-CELL, Vito E-CELL, SLS AMG E-CELL and Fuso Canter E-CELL.

5. Ford - nada. Focus EV is a luke warm effort to comply with CARB. No Frankenplug.

6. General Motors - Spark, Spring 2014. Just a California CARB compliance car. Toyota has to sell 2600 Rav4s, so I suspect GM must sell a similar volume.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/chevrolet-spark-ev-will-be-made-south-korea-43108.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankenplug is optional on Spark EV and initial markets include California, Oregon, Canada, South Korea and other global markets.

From the MyChevySpark Forum:

SparkTech said:
GM also has no current plans to roll this car out in other states. I went to the 6 hour Spark EV training last week, this was all confirmed by GM trainers. Not saying it will never happen, they don't have plans for it.

“The Spark EV will be sold in limited quantities in select U.S. and global markets starting in 2013 (as a 2014 model), including California,” Fox said. “We have not announced any additional markets beyond California and have not said exactly when in 2013 they will be available. More news and information will be coming as we get closer to the introduction and launch of the Spark EV.”

"“The Spark EV will be produced in Changwon, South Korea, the same location as the Spark with the internal combustion engine," said GM's Randy Fox, Electric Vehicle Technology Communications."

"Actually, the Spark EV's range – along with curb weight, price, top speed, on-board charger details, and other specifications – are still not being shared, Fox said, as these are still being finalized."

"Although Fox did not say so, it’s likely the company will continue using SAE charging connections as it does with the Volt, and not CHAdeMO. He did confirm DC fast charging will be available."

7. Porsche - nada, hence no Frankenplug.

8. Renault - tentative and tepid announcement after the other 8 announced that they are "in". No car announced to handle it, though, and they announced their own 43kW AC fast charger and support of ChadeMo. No known car with Frankenplug.

9. Volkswagen - They have a ChadeMo Blink at their San Francisco tech center, and plan to use converted Golf's in 2013, presumably to be strictly CARB compliance cars:

"Volkswagen, a major promoter of the Combo system, plans to put EVs on the market around the world from 2013 by converting some of its Golf and other popular models.

While Volkswagen will use the Combo system as the charging system for its EVs, the company will modify relevant units to accommodate the CHAdeMo system for the Japanese market."

I would guess that the not specifically mentioned USA that will have beau coup ChadeMo's compared to perhaps zero Frankenplugs might also get those "modified / accommodated" VW cars here in the USA.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/08/2121867/automakers-aim-to-set-global-standard.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“DC charging” refers to a charging protocol in which a charging station supplies direct current to a plug-in vehicle’s battery pack. This type of charging, which can be used to “quick charge” some compatible battery packs to 80% state-of-charge (SOC) in as little as ten to twenty minutes, contrasts with the much more common AC charging protocols, in which alternating charging current is supplied to the vehicle and is rectified to direct current by the vehicle’s on-board charger component, which then charges the battery pack.

Efforts to find consensus on a single charging standard have so far been elusive, particularly with respect to DC charging. Although the CHAdeMO DC charging standard prevails in Japan, with almost 1400 such chargers installed in that country, it is not integrated with AC charging. A CHAdeMO-complaint vehicle therefore requires a large charging door (e.g., Nissan LEAF) or two separate charging doors (e.g., Mitsubishi i-MiEV).

Volkswagen executives indicated that they had met with CHAdeMO representatives in the past to discuss a single charging standard, but were unable to come to an agreement; one executive reminisced “that was a very difficult discussion” which “quickly became political”. Although many manufacturers of plug-in vehicles, including Volkswagen, support the SAE J1772 AC-DC “combo connector” standard in the US market, as well as the somewhat similar VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 AC-DC standard in Europe, one VW executive remarked “we don’t want to discriminate” on charging standards, explaining “...the investors and the users will decide”.

^^^
There is also the Frankneplug EV/PHEV car list thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, to which Tony has contributed a wealth of info. ;)

Adding #4 via http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, in Torrance, CA.

There is at least one additional site in Tucson:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrtJeOZu5iY[/youtube]
bmwi3mnl

surfingslovak said:

I notice that spot isn't sheltered from the sun. How hot does the pavement get in Tuscon?

With fast-charging, the sun pouring down, and the heat radiating up from the asphalt, how much does quick-charging raise battery temps in Arizona.

Berlino said:
surfingslovak said:
I notice that spot isn't sheltered from the sun. How hot does the pavement get in Tuscon? With fast-charging, the sun pouring down, and the heat radiating up from the asphalt, how much does quick-charging raise battery temps in Arizona.
Your question is only really applicable to a LEAF doing DCFC. All the other cars have active battery cooling systems. They may charge slightly slower or use slightly more energy to charge to help cool the battery but otherwise it doesn't matter. These cars electric cooling systems are pretty efficient. For example, A/C in my Volt barely changes my range compared to heating system.

San Diego's first dual standard Chademo and SAE CCS station, installed by eVgo at the Fashion Valley shopping mall...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I guess we can add 2 units from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; now.

Looks like things aren't going so well for Frankenplug nirvana in Europe. It appears that member states infrastructure mandates are being pushed back to Dec 31, 2030. Also, now multiple standards are recognized in an open market.

Frankenplug had one huge uphill battle just because they were so late to the game; they needed a superior product and/or government mandates to win. They currently have neither.

So, if the German manufacturers and GM want to "make it happen", good luck. Yes, I still predict that at least Germany will be blanketed in German tax dollar funded Frankenplugs, regardless of how many Superchargers, CHAdeMO, Chameleon, etc there are.

Dead On Arrival.

European Union cancels a Franken Xmas

Let's hope clearer heads prevail and at least install both 'standards' everywhere... cause even BMW and Tesla are supporting CHAdeMO in their own ways now in Japan.

I'd love to see us get an even faster charger J1772 SAE AC 7.2 or 10Kw would be great... anything that makes our cars more useful.

Sad to hear that Denmark's government was bought off by GM or something since they are buying exclusively FrankenPlug SAE Combo Mania even though none have even shipped commercially yet that we can tell. Apparently the demo at Volkswagen went poorly and the SAE offered no real advantage over CHAdeMO whatsoever. (power output about equal)

Amazing that Nissan/Mitsubishi/Hyundai have to build out their own net... with about 100,000 installed cars served, and local folks have to push to them installed all about...

But when GM and the German car industry decides to roll the governments of the world to screw around with the 'standard' and slow it or change it and theirs are supposed to be ready before they even have single car sold for any sort of an installed base.

Akio Morita of Sony used to say 'America has too many lawyers and not enough engineers' I'd say this whole story is proof of that.

jsongster said:
qcroadtrip

Amazing that Nissan/Mitsubishi/Hyundai have to build out their own net... with about 100,000 installed cars served, and local folks have to push to them installed all about...

But when GM and the German car industry decides to roll the governments of the world to screw around with the 'standard' and slow it or change it and theirs are supposed to be ready before they even have single car sold for any sort of an installed base.
Jeff, I try to keep out of this debate, but it's worth noting that the CHAdeMO standard has received substantial support from the Japanese government, and from the Department of Energy via the EV Project grant. While there are many who might object to this type of spending, given the size of the addressable market as of this writing, and the chicken & egg dilemma we are facing in terms of quick charging infrastructure, direct or indirect subsidies will be needed to get this going.

I'm not a big fan of competing and diverging standards. That said, I'm also not a proponent of one standard over the other.

If I were to pick, I think Tesla's plug is superior to just about anything else. And my understanding is that in terms of the communications protocol it's either identical or very similar to CCS. That's not to knock CHAdeMO. I'm only mentioning it because there are several aspects to consider, and most of us are not familiar with the engineering challenges these OEMs have faced, and why exactly they have selected one solution or the other.

I would rather see us trying to figure out what the practical solution might be to this standards war, instead of becoming partial. While there could be some backroom activity and politics, as there often is in similar situations with public and other spending on the line, it would be good if it wasn't the focal point of the debate. Also, there are unlikely 100,000 cars with a CHAdeMO inlet on the road today. Much like with the i3 or the Spark, CHAdeMO is an option, and not all the drivers will elect to have it installed on their vehicle.

jsongster said:
Let's hope clearer heads prevail and at least install both 'standards' everywhere... cause even BMW and Tesla are supporting CHAdeMO in their own ways now in Japan.

I'd love to see us get an even faster charger J1772 SAE AC 7.2 or 10Kw would be great... anything that makes our cars more useful.

Sad to hear that Denmark's government was bought off by GM or something...

Volkswagen is also using CHAdeMO in Japan. I suspect GM should, too, after they got their hand slapped in South Korea when they started spewing Frankenplug BS. I suspect that GM doesn't even have a backup plan for CHAdeMO, as they only offer minimum effort regulatory compliance cars plus whatever spills over in South Korea and the Canada "fleet sales" (I wonder if they even made a single one of those yet!). BMW barely planned for Japan... their CHAdeMO plug is so poorly planned, they have to put the J1772 port under the hood !!! No reason why they couldn't use the oil filler access point on the right front of the car for J1772, at least that makes sense to me.

J1772-2009 goes to 80 amps, so 20kW at 250 volts.

The "bought off" country I believe you're referring to is Belgium or the Netherlands. They already have 50 CHAdeMO, and will install 50 Frankenplugs, also.

surfingslovak said:
jsongster said:
Jeff, I try to keep out of this debate, but it's worth noting that the CHAdeMO standard has received substantial support from the Japanese government, and from the Department of Energy via the EV Project grant....

If I were to pick, I think Tesla's plug is superior to just about anything else.

I doubt many people disagree with you on choosing Tesla. It's just not an option, until some manufacturer forks over some real cash. I'm confident that will happen, and a cascading effect will take place for the truly poor positioned automakers. Some will die with their sword, I'm equally confident of that, too.

I wonder how much money GM received from the US treasury? The German government has committed a truly gigantic amount of money for EV charging infrastructure, and I can guarantee that none of that will be spent on CHAdeMO or Superchargers (and probably not Chameleon either). What the German government will spend money on is the German Auto Manufacturer's DC charging standard, I absolutely guarantee it.

When governments, rules and regulations, national affiliation, and good old fashioned back slapping is taken out of the equation, whoever builds the most cars and chargers will win.

On a worldwide scale, my bet is not on the GM / German standard. GM and their Frankenplug consortium (that have almost no cars) have been actively working toward placing whatever regulatory roadblocks they can for the car companies that have delivered over 100,000 EV's. It doesn't leave warm fuzzies with me as somebody actively promoting EV's.

Fortunately, those efforts have been largely for naught, as GM's competition keeps on "keeping on", and their blocking efforts have largely failed. It's no surprise that GM isn't even in the race... yet.

If they truly want their standard to get off the ground floor, instead if lobbying governments for favor, and trying to regulate the existing charge standards out of existence, JUST BUILD THE DAMN THINGS, JUST LIKE TESLA AND NISSAN ARE DOING. As one VW executive remarked, “we don’t want to discriminate... on charging standards, explaining... the investors and the users will decide”.

Back