How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking Bets -- Currently at 59,375 miles. :|

AHR Date
46.59 12/7/2015
46.33 1/20/2016
45.47 3/9/2016
45.32 3/28/2016
45.07 4/6/2016
44.93 4/16/2016
44.67 4/20/2016
44.5 5/1/2016
44.3 5/13/2016
44.15 5/19/2016

SOH 67%

Hx 46.31

Hello from Atlanta. I'm very new to this site and LEAF as well. I have bought a 2012 LEAF SL with 37k miles and 3 bars missing. Based on studying this site, I have purchased and hooked up the LEAFSpy Pro. Here is my latest data:

AHr=44.14 SOH=67% Hx = 46.29%
it has had 0 QCs
at 100% charge, it gives me a range of 60 miles, but I think it's more like 40 in Atlanta and no climate control or highway driving.

Mfg date: 1/30/2012

the AHr is going down rapidly though. it has gone down 0.7 in less than a week and about 130 miles. From what I'm reading on this forum, I'll probably be losing the 4th bar soon, especially with the Hotlanta weather approaching.

I took the car in for 37.5K service. They ran a multipoint check on the car and marked the battery charge capacity as "green". I even asked the guy at the service counter that how would I know it's time to replace the battery, but didn't really get a straight answer.

Once the 4th bar disappears, what's the conversation to have with Nissan? Is there documentation from Nissan instructing owner as what steps to take? Do I just take the car or call them and let them know?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dont quick charge your car QC will raise you Ahr temporarily and delay the pleasure of getting a new battery I have exactly same situation like you 2012 with 3 bars missing after driving it in D mode for 3 months and i purposely drove it hard at 75 mph or follow fast lane - and only did QC dc charging once every 2 weeks or so - I dropped 4th bar in 3 months - and simply came to the dealership - they did a battery test and ordered a new battery - they told me 4-6 week wait, good luck

futureal said:
Dont quick charge your car QC will raise you Ahr temporarily and delay the pleasure of getting a new battery I have exactly same situation like you 2012 with 3 bars missing after driving it in D mode for 3 months and i purposely drove it hard at 75 mph or follow fast lane - and only did QC dc charging once every 2 weeks or so - I dropped 4th bar in 3 months - and simply came to the dealership - they did a battery test and ordered a new battery - they told me 4-6 week wait, good luck

Thanks! Please let us know how will the new battery perform. I read that they only promise bumping the capacity back up to 9. (bummer, if that holds true).

Leafer2012 said:
futureal said:

Thanks! Please let us know how will the new battery perform. I read that they only promise bumping the capacity back up to 9. (bummer, if that holds true).

It's like a new car all over again. 2011/2012 owners are gaursnteed new packs as a result of the class action settlement so no worry about getting a remanufactured pack.

I'd drive it hard and fast charge to 100%, use frequent DCQC, and anything else you can do to keep the battery temperature up. IMO any impact of DCQC is just temporary and the increased temperature will keep the degradation moving along.

QueenBee said:
Leafer2012 said:
futureal said:

It's like a new car all over again. 2011/2012 owners are gaursnteed new packs as a result of the class action settlement so no worry about getting a remanufactured pack.

I'd drive it hard and fast charge to 100%, use frequent DCQC, and anything else you can do to keep the battery temperature up. IMO any impact of DCQC is just temporary and the increased temperature will keep the degradation moving along.

That's great news! Are there any recommendations about which service to use. I know the new owner or leasers get a charge card from Nissan so they can charge for free, but since I bought used, I need to buy the service. Thanks!

Leafer2012 said:
That's great news! Are there any recommendations about which service to use. I know the new owner or leasers get a charge card from Nissan so they can charge for free, but since I bought used, I need to buy the service. Thanks!
Check out PlugShare for a list of the ones local to where you'd need to charge.

QueenBee said:
Leafer2012 said:
Check out PlugShare for a list of the ones local to where you'd need to charge.

Thanks!

QueenBee said:
BradFoxUS said:
While they were waiting on delivery, were you allowed to continue driving your Leaf? I'd rather not get stuck with a gas car while my battery is on order. I'm at 51,221 miles and 70% SOH so it's any day now I will qualify for new cells.

Did you really mean 70% SOH?? I have really bad news for you. You aren't anywhere near close to getting a new pack. At 70% SOH I would think you either have just lost the 3rd bar or will so shortly. You need to lose 4 bars which doesn't happen until somewhere more like 64% SOH with a few points of range.

Yes, 70% SOH and 45AHr I believe. DO you think I can drop that down enough for a replacement within 8,500 miles?

BradFoxUS said:
QueenBee said:
BradFoxUS said:
While they were waiting on delivery, were you allowed to continue driving your Leaf? I'd rather not get stuck with a gas car while my battery is on order. I'm at 51,221 miles and 70% SOH so it's any day now I will qualify for new cells.

Did you really mean 70% SOH?? I have really bad news for you. You aren't anywhere near close to getting a new pack. At 70% SOH I would think you either have just lost the 3rd bar or will so shortly. You need to lose 4 bars which doesn't happen until somewhere more like 64% SOH with a few points of range.

Yes, 70% SOH and 45AHr I believe. DO you think I can drop that down enough for a replacement within 8,500 miles?

Yeah, I think if you drive it hard you can do it but you are very far from it dropping the 4th bar even though Nissan tried to tell us it was around 70%.

So far this is what I'm looking at:
51,753 Miles 148 QC and 2312 L1/L2
AHr 46.36
SOH 70%
Hx 49.94

I have another year just about before warranty expires based on time. How good are my chances? I bought my Leaf used from Carmax in January and it already had 2 bars lost and the 3rd dropped in the middle of March. I live in Fort Bragg, North Carolina and the Temps fluctuate pretty crazy. I QC maybe 6 times over the weekends but not always. It's how I manage to get to Raleigh and back.

Hey! New to the site (as seems like almost everyone posting their stats is!) and wondering if anyone has any thoughts:

2012 Leaf, 40K miles, 9 months left on warranty. My third bar dropped a couple months ago and I'm wondering if I'm better off being safe and conservative, or if you all think 9 months is enough time for me to drop that fourth bar.

current stats:
Ahr=47.43
SOH=72
Hx=51.69

Thanks!

-Tyler

Dipped below 45 Ah with two weeks to go before 5 years of ownership. Looking like I'll lose the 4th bar in 3 months or so. Looks like the highest reported Ah for the 4th bar is around 43.3 Ah?

51k miles
44.9 Ah
47.5 Hx
195 GIDs 100%
158 GIDs 80%

tttttt said:
Hey! New to the site (as seems like almost everyone posting their stats is!) and wondering if anyone has any thoughts:

2012 Leaf, 40K miles, 9 months left on warranty. My third bar dropped a couple months ago and I'm wondering if I'm better off being safe and conservative, or if you all think 9 months is enough time for me to drop that fourth bar.

current stats:
Ahr=47.43
SOH=72
Hx=51.69

Thanks!

-Tyler
Depends where you are. If you're in an area that has a really hot summer-early fall you might make it, especially if you take steps to hasten the process. Otherwise, probably not. You might want to add your location to your owner profile, so it shows up in your member info at the left.

I have been below 66% for months. 63% now.

41.75Ah and something like 41-43Hx and still no 4th bar drop. Over the 60,000 mark by 1000 miles now. Ridiculous, this "timer"

same here:

2 more days to go before 5yr warranty expire and at 53K miles. Sitting on 9th bar for the past 8 months.
I can smell the 8th bar coming, but I think Nissan is not going give it to me :x .

I've skimmed the thread and I am trying to figure if I will drop the the 9th bar by 8/05/16 for my battery warranty. I have the leaf spy pro app but don't really use it, as I don't understand all the info presented. I do see in this thread something about the "Ahr" number (Amp Hours?)

Can one tell me what I should look for in the app (if that is the best way) so I can deduce how close I am to the 8th bar. Or refer me to a thread that explains what I am looking for?

I'm in So Cal
2011 Leaf, ( EDIT: correction 32k), garage kept (should I park it in the sun?)
I work freelance so my milage varies. ever since I got the mailing about the warranty we've been driving it more
I've had that stupid 3227 update that killed my regen
Been at 9 bars for about 6 months. I only get a bout 50 miles
I've babied the thing so i think I'm gonna get burned.

Any insight appreciated

Joe

joebrod said:
I've skimmed the thread and I am trying to figure if I will drop the the 9th bar by 8/05/16 for my battery warranty. I have the leaf spy pro app but don't really use it, as I don't understand all the info presented. I do see in this thread something about the "Ahr" number (Amp Hours?)

Can one tell me what I should look for in the app (if that is the best way) so I can deduce how close I am to the 8th bar. Or refer me to a thread that explains what I am looking for?

I'm in So Cal
2011 Leaf, 40k, garage kept (should I park it in the sun?)
I work freelance so my milage varies. ever since I got the mailing about the warranty we've been driving it more
I've had that stupid 3227 update that killed my regen
Been at 9 bars for about 6 months. I only get a bout 50 miles
I've babied the thing so i think I'm gonna get burned.

Any insight appreciated

Joe

From what I have seen, 43.25Ahr seems to be the magic point for MOST people. I'm at 44.78Ahr and 68% SOH. I can only use 14kWh which is only two thirds of my total capacity putting me at 66% yet my 8th bar hasn't dropped yet. Your mileage may vary, no pun intended.

I have until May 2017 for battery time warranty and I am at 53,881 on my mileage. Crossing my fingers big time. Just I wish I had some solid support that I'd drop to the 8th bar by the end of the summer.

Back