How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At drop to 8 bars, 42.15 Ahr, 64% SOH, 43.02 HX, 30,990 OD, 2 quick and 2007 L1/L2 charges. 2011 silver SL #4639. DOM 05/11. Delivered in June 2011. I recall the car spent time in a northern New England state. When I purchased it, it would read 60 miles range and would go only 15 miles to 0 range. The dealer replaced module 48 and car was at 10 bars. That was about 3 months ago.

Hoosier said:
Currently 42.28 AHr 43.24 HX 64% SOH...still 9 bars. 59,908 miles Aprox 60 days since AHr cap. How much lower is this thing going to drop?
DON'T DRIVE PAST 59,999 miles, then have it towed on a flat bed to the dealer when the 4th bar drops.

theoldchum said:
At drop to 8 bars, 42.15 Ahr, 64% SOH, 43.02 HX, 30,990 OD, 2 quick and 2007 L1/L2 charges. 2011 silver SL #4639. DOM 05/11. Delivered in June 2011. I recall the car spent time in a northern New England state. When I purchased it, it would read 60 miles range and would go only 15 miles to 0 range. The dealer replaced module 48 and car was at 10 bars. That was about 3 months ago.

The weak module in my car is 48 also. When did you have it repaired (3 months ago?) and why didn't they give you a new lizard battery? OK, I went back and read some of your posts. The settlement of Klee V Nissan it sounds like you are not a class member. Lets hope they will give you a new pack. Good luck! I am in the same situation as you and am very interested in how they resolve this with you. My fingers are crossed...

When I went in 3 months ago, the bad module was replaced because my capacity was reading 10 bars. I made sure the latest update to the software was downloaded and checked that the previous owner didn't opt out of the class. I was told what not to do by the dealership to degrade the battery any further, and if it so happens that the battery were to drop below 9 bars I should bring it back for a replacement pack. In the owners manual it states that Nissan's warranty transferrs to the new owner as long as the car was originally purchased from a Nissan dealer and in my case remained in the US.

Did you go to the dealer (on Monday 10/24/15 as previously stated that you intended to do) since you have now have just recently dropped to 8 bars, and what did they say and do?

They did a battery test and sent results to Nissan. Waiting for my service advisor to call me back. Will stop by tomorrow if I don't hear from him by 10 am.

New battery in today. Planning a long ride tomorrow. Charging set now for 80%. Will be installing swamp cooler in garage for summers. Will be charging @ night in summer so battery will remain as cool as possible.

theoldchum said:
New battery in today. Planning a long ride tomorrow. Charging set now for 80%. Will be installing swamp cooler in garage for summers. Will be charging @ night in summer so battery will remain as cool as possible.
If you have the new battery chemistry, why worry about the 80% charge setting? Or, is this to break in the battery for a couple of cycles, then switch to 100% charge?

knightmb said:
theoldchum said:
If you have the new battery chemistry, why worry about the 80% charge setting? Or, is this to break in the battery for a couple of cycles, then switch to 100% charge?

Because the new battery is still passive cooled and isn't immune to heat issues.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706 for some degradation data.

4th bar dropped today. 37,453 miles. Will post all numbers after charge tonight. Woohoo! We are big losers! And... winners!

SOH 63%
SOC 96.7%
AHr 41.79
Hx 42.44%
181 GIDs
391.78V
21 QC & 1239 L1/L2

theoldchum said:
Congratulations on the 4th bar. Now you can leave the range anxiety behind when going across town.

Thanks for the congrats! My lady drives (8 bar car) soon to be 12 bars. Her work and picking up our daughter is only 36-40 miles daily. She is afraid to drive the freeways anyway so the car was still not causing range anxiety. I also had proven to her that it would do 63 miles on surface streets up to 45ish mph because she was beginning to develop range anxiety. Mind you she was not even driving into the red bars. I must admit though, it has been hard to convince her there is a lot of range left in the red bars that she considers danger bars! :lol: I have purposely taken her to show her how to use QC a few times so she could be comfortable with doing so if needed. She has not yet done it on her own. I keep teasing her that I am going to swap cars with her when the new battery is installed. She is profusely against that idea. :p

Both of our leafs also have QC and a good availability QC chargers in our metro area. I drive the car that had the battery replaced with a lizard almost a year ago. I use QC maybe average 2-3 times a month whenever I need it. Anyway... It looks like the new battery will be delivered around Christmas time with the presents!

Before my new pack was installed, I would drive as long as possible to drain the battery to turtle mode in the heat. I was amazed at the amount of power that was available at the lower end of the battery. Now I charge only to 80% and plan on babying the new pack. Keeping it cool as possible especially in our hot Vegas summers will be a priority. I will be charging at night in the summers with the garage swamp cooler and fan circulating air under the car.

It's 40F outside here in Indiana. I have the pack up to 90F, and tricked the ambient to 94F. The stats are still frozen, even after rolling the car around the block with hard pulls.

I currently believe that the bars update based on telematic data, gps data, or timestamp data

I have 11 miles of room to get from 44 to 43-43.. I believe it is already there but it just won't refresh and hasn't for a few months since I stopped driving the car. Around that time I had nissa. Dealership run the tests for the hell of it and they denied eligibility.. Maybe they flagged my car

hillzofvalp said:
I currently believe that the bars update based on telematic data, gps data, or timestamp data

I really doubt that. 90 degrees might not be enough. My SOH barely changed at all last winter, and I'm in south Florida. You may just have to wait for the spring thaw. Are you keeping it charged at 100% all the time?

theoldchum said:

You should get a lot more miles out of this battery pack than the original!

keydiver said:
hillzofvalp said:

I really doubt that. 90 degrees might not be enough. My SOH barely changed at all last winter, and I'm in south Florida. You may just have to wait for the spring thaw. Are you keeping it charged at 100% all the time?

I have the pack at 78-95F and SOH/Hx/Ah are not changing. Pack is way out of balance. Maybe that is why.

If you aren't seeing any changes, that would support my very wild hypothesis that the cloud or calendar date is controlling when the cars push data to the VCM or whatever is controlling the bars

Back