Accessing high voltage on a leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPaulHolmes

Where is the access point for the 400v high voltage on a leaf? I mean, before the contactors and everything, how do I get access to +400v. For example, if I removed the 12v battery, where would I stick the volt meter so it would read +400v (or 360v or whatever)?

-Paul

Dang it. OK. Let's say you push the little on button. Now, what would be the easiest point for 400v access?

Basically, I would like to have a nice quick way to attach the Leaf battery pack to my home made MPPT solar charger, and also to connect the pack to my homemade split phase 120v/240v inverter. A sort of ghetto V2H, until which time I figure out how to use the $10,000 Chademo plug. right now I'm using some super old 7amp*hr lead acid batteries to get the 400v, which provide essentially no capacity once the sun sets. And it's PHoenix, AZ, which means it's already 150 degrees outside.

If you don't know the answers for those simple questions I would recommend you to not poke
all kinds of things in HV Leaf system.

Later on you will start asking "what is good voltage to charge to" and eventually something will blow.
You need to know everything before you start poking stuff.

Is the chademo protocol documentation specific enough like the following? I do all the code myself, so I would have to know the communications required in detail for it to work.
The CAN packets can be between 1 and 8 bytes. Could I expect to see something as specific as the following in that $150 documentation?:
car sends (let's pretend hex):
10 03 4f 3f

Oh, the documentation says 10 03 means "message x", and 4f 3f means "data".

I must wait "x" units of time before answering with my own data packet....

I send:
45 5d 34 4a 5f a2
Car sends:
5e
I must wait "y" units of time
I send:
89 75 43
etc..
And, does the documentation tell me how the encoding is done for things like "what is your max voltage", "what is your charge rate", etc? If the chademo protocol isn't very specific so that I can't translate what they are saying into C, it would be a waste of $150 for me to get it.

Not the greatest video, but this guy's approach will probably be successful for answering your questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySmuVFDK8E
-Jim

Back