three phase output voltage and frequency adjustments

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grabitup

has any one tried to adjust the high voltage output and frequency? i would love to reduce the frequency to 60 cycles and the voltage to 480, 240, or 208 for a power project i am trying to satisfy using a leaf power system. i know i could go buy another inverter to do this but can the leaf inverter be used to do it? If the voltage is fixed, could the frequency be slowed down to 60 cycles? I am trying to get 120, 208, or 240 volts at 60 Hz. i can transform or buck the voltage wwith an auto transformer if i could at least get 60 Hz at the output.

in my searches years ago I found a paper from Japan looking at the frequency vs
motor wire insulation, the paper concluded that 5000 hz was good, I then
noticed this was the frequency the LEAF inverter was using. This frequency is
variable, and is reduced for high temperature situations, however 60 is a
long ways from 5000, I would speculate the inverter controller can not do
this.
Ah, just realized that carrier frequency is not what you would be interested in.
Still the controller takes torque input, not speed, so would take some work.
Also while about 3-4 years ago I had speculated that the output was sine
simulation, that would not make sense considering the high rpm of the
motor, so I now believe that speculation was wrong (also in that post
speculated about number of poles changing, which I believe now was
also wrong).

grabitup said:
If the voltage is fixed, could the frequency be slowed down to 60 cycles.
Yes. The inverter in the LEAF can operate down to zero frequency (0 Hz). Since the switching frequency for the power devices in the LEAF's inverter is around 7000 Hz, the upper limit for a sinusoid is likely around 700 Hz. It can certainly produce a decent sinusoid at 60 Hz.
grabitup said:
I am trying to get 120, 208, or 240 volts at 60 Hz.
The control algorithm for the inverter is almost certainly designed to make the output look like a current source rather than a voltage source. This is because the torque of a motor is a function of current, not voltage. That said, it MAY be true that it also has the ability to operate as a voltage source.
grabitup said:
i can transform or buck the voltage wwith an auto transformer if i could at least get 60 Hz at the output.
I have to wonder how much power you are trying to invert. The reason I ask is that the switching losses of such a high-power inverter are considerable. As I have noted in the past, my best estimate is that the LEAF's inverter dissipates approximately 1000W when just sitting there producing a three-phase sinusoid (or operating at DC).

Unless you need to draw significant amounts of power from the battery for your application, you will end up draining your battery much more quickly than you need to.

Back