LEAF Suspension characteristics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamahophead

I'm working on a quick comparison of sprung and unsprung mass on the Nissan LEAF. Can anyone tell me the spring and damper characteristics of the LEAF suspension? Or give me a ball-park idea? I would go with my own estimates, but the car is so much heavier than most its size, I'm not quite sure where to start.

Thanks all!

I can tell you this...The Damping Sucks ! The ride is harsh and jarring over pot holes, and similar sharp impact road flaws.

I have very little driving time in Leaf.. but live in an area with poorly maintained windy two lane roads.. and plenty of leaf owners.
One told me " The cars is shaking apart, after 2 years on these roads".

There is no lumbar support .. the rear suspension is coil springs.. with apparently separate shocks,,, rather than McPherson struts.
This probably makes shock replacement in back easy.. and should open up possibilities for many types of shocks.

But lets see what somebody who actually knows has to say. Given where I live ( per above) this is going to be a big issue for me.
My guess is that the OEM shocks are cheap.. and that some more sophisticated gas units might help. This is a 4000 lb car with a
small foot print... EGolf surely has better suspension and handling. Good news is this thing is 10,000 times better than a prius.. which steers like jello, and "hates to go around corners". Apparently ditching the ectopia tires is a must... fragile and short lived.

Back