Changing headlight beams

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyratev

Hi,

I might import an RHD leaf to Norway (LHD). In this case I will need to convert the headlight beam patterns. Does anyone know if this is straightforward on a Leaf or not?

Thanks.

Someone here took apart their headlight enclosures to re-paint the background areas. Maybe this will help?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I imagine the pattern difference comes down to the shape of the reflector. I'd be surprised if that is sold as a separate part though. Maybe you could get lucky at salvage.

OP,
Are you trying to describe re-aligning the headlights to aim properly at the road for folks who drive on the right side of the road?
Unfortunately, I can find no info myself on adjusting the headlights in a cursory search, but I believe it would be just two adustment screws to play with somewhere around the fixtures.

Ah! Didn't consider.... if you switch left and right, would it pass NZ requirements?

If so the link I referenced above might help then, without having to obtain new parts -- swap the L and R reflectors.

Hi.

Yes I am wondering if all it takes is to realign the headlight with adjustment screws, or if I would need to do something more drastic. On my impreza I needed to replace the headlight units to achieve the different beam pattern.

But on the modern leaf this might be easier?

pyratev said:
Hi.

Yes I am wondering if all it takes is to realign the headlight with adjustment screws, or if I would need to do something more drastic. On my impreza I needed to replace the headlight units to achieve the different beam pattern.

But on the modern leaf this might be easier?

Cheers,
Alastair

If you take the car, and park 30 feet (10 Metres :lol: ) away from a white wall, you will see a definite pattern to the headlights.
The side from which traffic will approach will be a straight horizontal line, hopefully below the level of the oncoming vehicles windshield.

Then, as the line moves back towards your lane, it will bend up to an angle of about 35 degrees and continue up.

This is the problem.
That "swoop" up of the headlight pattern will be right into the eyes of oncoming drivers

Switching side to side will not help; adjusting the screws will not help.
It is a reflector design issue.

If this is your plan, and you cannot acquire a vehicle that is already setup to drive on the "correct" side of the road, you will have to switch out the forward portions of the headlight assemblies.

You see them on U.S. E-bay from time to time.

Just a quick check;
Here is a 2013 Left one for $150.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2013-NISSAN-LEAF-LEFT-DRIVER-SIDE-HALOGEN-HEADLIGHT-ASSEMBLY-/300959872290?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan|Model%3ALeaf&hash=item46129b3522&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012 "Drivers" side $179.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-LEAF-2011-2012-DRIVERS-SIDE-NEW-OEM-HEADLIGHT-/271279386410?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2982ef2a&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are more.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, as I expected really. Will update further if I go ahead with this project.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I might import my (RHD) UK Leaf in France (where cars are LHD).
So, I'm interested in beam adjustement options.
Can it do with stickers?

pyratev said:
I might import an RHD leaf to Norway (LHD)
Thanks.
Did it happen?

Thx!

Back